Creamy Simple Scalloped Potatoes are the Best Homemade Potato Dish. The perfect side dish to any meal. A simple white sauce brings potatoes to the next level. So Good!
The Best Scalloped Potatoes
The first time I tried this amazing Potato Dish was at a friend’s house. My Mom never made Scalloped Potatoes, I couldn’t understand why!
But I always loved them. The first time I made them was from a recipe a friend back home gave me. These Simple Scalloped Potatoes took me back in time.
And I remember thinking “yeah I still love Scalloped Potatoes”!
And of course my family did too. This dish became known as “Patate Canadese” (Canadian Potatoes) and were requested for every birthday, Christmas, Easter and any other holiday in between.
I have made other recipes that included different ingredients, but this Simple Scalloped Potato Recipe is the one I always fall back on. Simple, Easy and the Best!
How to make Scalloped Potatoes
- Peel and thinly slice the potatoes, place in a bowl of cold water, let sit while you make the white sauce.
- In a medium pot melt the butter, whisk in the flour and salt until smooth.
- Slowly add the milk and cook stirring on low-medium until thick.
- Drain and towel dry the potato slices.
- Place a couple of spoonfuls of sauce on the bottom of a medium baking dish.
- Top with a single layer of sliced potatoes. Spoon 1/3 of the white sauce on top.
- Continue with another layer (1/3) of the sliced potatoes and sauce twice.
- Sprinkle with a couple of spoons of grated parmesan if desired.
- Bake covered for 45 minutes and uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Let sit 5 minutes before serving.
Whenever I serve these Easy Homemade Scalloped Potatoes I sometimes like to serve a meat dish that I can bake in the oven or even something that needs to cook as long as the potatoes.
Don’t forget this Potato Dish makes the perfect accompaniment to your favourite summertime BBQ meal.
What to serve with Scalloped Potatoes
- Baked Italian Breaded Pork Chops
- Italian Roast Loin Pork
- Italian Fried Chicken
- Grilled Rosemary Marinated Steak
No matter what you decide to serve with this Baked Dish, let me tell you they are definitely the perfect side dish. Buon Appetito!
- 4-5 potatoes (medium)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2-3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- freshly chopped Italian parsley
Pre-heat oven to 350°F (180°C).
Peel and thinly slice the potatoes, place in a bowl of cold water and let sit while making the white sauce.
In a medium/large pot on low/medium heat melt the butter, add the flour and salt and whisk until smooth. Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly until thickens, approximately 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
Drain and towel dry the potato slices.
Place 2-3 tablespoon of white sauce on the bottom of baking pan**, add 1/3-1/2 of the potatoes and 1/3 of the white sauce continue for another 1-2 levels.
Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired, and bake covered for 45 minutes, then uncover and bake for an additional 30 minutes. Let sit 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with chopped parsley if desired. Enjoy!
**I used a medium baking pan (10x7 inches / 26x17 centimeters) and made 3 levels, you could use a larger pan and make only 2 layers if desired.