Easy Caprese Stuffed Fresh Mozzarella, is an Italian dish that screams Summer. Fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and herbs make this the perfect side dish, appetizer or even main course. You are going to love it.
Yes you read that right! And I know what you are thinking, this woman is going Caprese crazy. Well, just a tad and I really can’t help it, I live in Italy. But this Stuffed Fresh Mozzarella Caprese is exactly the caprese you are looking for, trust me.
This is one of those quick and easy but isn’t that cute ideas. If you use a couple of medium to large fresh mozzarella (depending on what size they are where you live), it would probably be enough for 4 to 6 people.
What is Mozzarella?
Mozzarella is a dairy product, which is produced from cow milk it contain a high quantity of lactose. It is a fresh stretched and soft cheese that must be consumed immediately. It is white, shiny and has no rind. It is a highly preferred cheese because of its softness and pleasant, not strong flavour.
How to make Mozzarella Stuffed Caprese
- My first recommendation would be to let the fresh mozzarella drain for about 20 minutes in a sieve over a bowl.
- While it is resting and draining, start chopping the tomatoes, celery, onion and some wonderful perfumed basil (that you could easily grow in a small pot).
- Place it all in a bowl and toss with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Then all you have to do is hollow out the drained mozzarella , and that extra mozzarella gets chopped up and added to the cut up tomato mixture.
- Fill the hollowed out mozzarella with the mixture, drizzle with a little olive oil and serve.
- Any extra tomato mixture is absolutely delicious served with some Crusty Italian bread.
- This dish makes the perfect BBQ side dish.
How to store it
A Caprese Salad is one of those recipes that should be eaten immediately, but if you do have a little leftover, cover it in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for no more than two days.
Tips for making the Best Caprese Salad
- The mozzarella and tomatoes should be at room temperature, so remove both from the refrigerator one hour before preparing.
- Towel dry the mozzarella before plating, and the large tomato slices if they are really moist.
- Be sure to salt only the tomatoes and not the mozzarella.
- Add the fresh basil just before serving.
- Some people like to add a drizzle of balsamic vinegar before serving.
Italians have a wonderful way of expressing themselves, for example, herbs and food don’t have a smell they have a perfume. Perfect in my opinion, especially in regards to basil. You know summer has arrived when you smell basil in the air.
Just remember when you hollow out your fresh mozzarella, be gentle you don’t want to rip it.
More Easy Caprese Recipes.
Easy Stuffed Fresh Mozzarella Caprese could easily become the perfect side dish for any summer barbecue, make it really yell summer and serve it with some Bruschetta. Buon Appetito!
Stuffed Fresh Mozzarella Caprese
- 2 medium/large fresh mozzarella
- 12 cherry tomatoes (or 2 or 3 medium to large ripe but firm tomatoes seeded and chopped)
- 1/4 small onion ( chopped)
- 1 celery stalk (chopped)
- ¾ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4-5 leaves fresh basil chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Place the fresh mozzarella in a sieve over a bowl for approximately 20 minutes. Carefully hollow out the mozzarella and chop the excess mozzarella.
- In a medium bowl combine, chopped excess mozzarella, chopped tomatoes, onion and celery, oregano, salt, chopped basil, olive oil and balsamic vinegar, toss gently together.
- Fill the hollowed out fresh mozzarella with the caprese mixture and drizzle with a little olive oil, serve the extra caprese mixture on the side. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Republished from June 12, 2016.