Baked Sweet Ravioli, a delicious flakey pastry stuffed with a lightly sweetened Ricotta filling and baked to perfection. The perfect after dinner dessert or snack.
Ricotta Filled Sweet Ravioli
These are a sweet Italian treat that my mother-in-law used to make, but done just a little different.
I also decided to bake these Sweet Ravioli and not deep fry them. But I did fill them with her Ricotta and Chocolate Chip Filling.
I always remember the first time I tasted her Sweet Ravioli filled with a Creamy Ricotta Filling and thinking “it can’t get much better than this”!
How to make a Creamy Ricotta Filling
- Always drain your ricotta cheese either with a sieve or cheesecloth for at least an hour.
- If it is extremely watery then leave it in the sieve in a covered bowl for 24 hours.
- Make sure to mix the sugar and ricotta completely before gently stirring in the chocolate chips.
The only thing about fried foods is you pretty well have to eat them asap, because once they get cold they kind of lose it a little and cold soggy fried food isn’t the most appetizing.
But most baked goods you have to let cool anyway and they rarely lose it! And to tell the truth these went quite quickly so I didn’t have to worry about left overs.
And of course like most Italian desserts a little dusting of powdered sugar is all these Homemade Sweet Ravioli really need. Enjoy!
Ricotta Chocolate Chip Filled Baked Sweet Ravioli
MAKE THE BROWN SUGAR PIE CRUST
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon ricotta cheese (cow)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- zest 1/2 lemon
Make the Pastry Crust
- Make the Pastry Crust as per instructions, use half the dough for this recipe, (the other half can be frozen).
- Drain your ricotta cheese either with a sieve or cheesecloth for at least an hour. If the cheese is extremely watery then leave it in the sieve in a covered bowl for 24 hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 350° (180° C), line one or two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl mix together the ricotta and sugar until creamy, then gently stir in the mini chocolate chips and zest.
- Roll out half the dough to a 1/8 inch thickness, cut out round with a medium size round cookie cutter, place a teaspoonful of filling on one side of the round and cover it with the unfilled side. Close the edges with a fork, place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake for approximately 15-20 minutes or until golden. Let cool, dust with powdered sugar if desired. Enjoy!