This Cheesy Baked Tortellini is the perfect anytime Dinner. Fast and Simple, a Delicious Family Meal with a homemade tomato sauce, cheese, and tortellini pasta.
I could eat pasta every day but we don’t because as much as we love it, the Italian has been told by his doctor to cut back on carbs. So instead of every day we have it a couple of times a week now. Luckily, there are many Italian dishes that don’t have pasta!
When we do have a pasta dish, I love “Pasta al Forno” or Baked Pasta Dishes. They are some of our favourites and this easy baked tortellini is one I make often. It’s a really quick and easy baked pasta recipe with delicious flavors.
I love tortellini because it’s available premade and you can usually find ones with different fillings. For this recipe, I like to use meat-filled ones, but you can also use cheese tortellini.
The red sauce is very simple and, of course, it has plenty of cheese. Who doesn’t love a Yummy Cheesy Pasta Dish?
The sauce only takes about 20 minutes to cook and thicken, so while it is cooking you can boil your water and cook your pasta, of course to al dente. Pasta should always have a bite to it, never a melt-in-your-mouth mess.
If you want a simple and easy dinner recipe, this Cheesy Baked Tortellini is just what you are looking for. A lightly spiced sauce coats this amazing Italian Pasta.
- Olive oil
- Chopped garlic cloves
- Tomato puree (passata)
- Dried basil
- Dried oregano
- Grated mozzarella cheese
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Tortellini – you can use refrigerated tortellini or frozen tortellini.
In an oven-proof pan, combine the olive oil, garlic, tomato puree, water, and spices. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat and then adjust the heat to medium heat to maintain a simmer. Simmer the sauce for 15 to 20 minutes or until it’s thickened.
In a large pot, boil the tortellini according to the package directions or until it’s al dente. Drain the pasta and set it aside until the sauce is thickened.
Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and stir to coat it evenly in the tomato sauce.
Sprinkle the mozzarella and Parmesan over the top of the tortellini mixture.
Place the pan under the broiler for about two to three minutes or until the cheese is lightly golden and melted.
Cool the baked tortellini for two to three minutes at room temperature before serving.
Pasta: Use your favorite tortellini for this recipe but don’t overcook it. It should have a slight chew and not be mushy.
Sauce: I prefer homemade sauce, but of you are really short on time, you can use your favorite jarred marinara sauce or spaghetti sauce for this recipe. For the best flavor, use a high-quality one with not a lot of ingredients.
Cheese: Firm mozzarella (also known as low-moisture) is best for this pasta dish.
Baking Pan: I like to use an oven-safe pan with tall sides to make the sauce and then it goes straight in the oven. Fewer dishes! If you don’t have one, you can make the sauce in a large skillet or saucepan and then transfer the pasta and sauce to a casserole dish or other baking dish.
Garnishes: Sprinkle fresh parsley, basil, or fresh thyme over the top for serving. You can also add some freshly ground black pepper.
Give this easy baked tortellini casserole a try and it will be a new Family Favorite Pasta dish. Buon Appetito!
More Dinner Recipes
- White Sauce Gnocchi
- Italian Sausage and Peppers
- Easy One-Pot Ground Beef Chili
- Crepe Cannelloni with Meat Sauce
- Pumpkin Gnocchi with Sage Butter Sauce
Cheesy Baked Tortellini
FOR THE SAUCE
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (27 grams)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups tomato puree (passata)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
FOR THE TOPPING
- 1 cup grated firm Mozzarella
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 pound fresh Tortellini (I used meat filling)
- In a medium to large oven proof baking dish add the olive oil, garlic, puree, water, and spices, bring to a boil then simmer (half covered) for approximately 15-20 or until thickened. Stirring occasionally.
- While sauce is cooking boil water, add salt and cook tortellini al dente. Drain
- Add the tortellini to the cooked sauce and gently combine. Top with grated Mozzarella and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Place under the broiler for approximately 2-3 minutes or until cheese melts and top is golden. Let sit 2-3 minutes and serve. Enjoy!