An easy and delicious Appetizer, Vol au Vent filled with a creamy Shrimp filling or a tasty Smoked Salmon filling. Both easy and perfect for Holiday get togethers.
Vol Au Vent
Once again I would like to share one of my favourite pastry ideas made with Puff Pastry. Vol au Vent are a fast and easy way to make your appetizers stand out.
I especially like to fill them with 2 of my favourite fillings. A creamy Shrimp filling and the perfect Smoked Salmon, Parmesan Flakes and Arugula Filling.
What is the difference between a Bouchee and Vol Au Vent?
Vol au Vents which translated means “fly with the wind”, because of the light pastry used, or Bouchee a la Reine, the “little queen”.
I have read a few things, the first being that the Vol au Vent was originally made as a large pastry to cut in portions and share, the Bouchée à la Reine is the smaller version, a bite size, perfect for a buffet table.
Or Bouchee a la Reine is what the French call them and Vol au Vent are known in Switzerland and Belgium.
Although it was the French who invented the Bouchee a la Reine.
How to make Vol au Vent
- Cut out medium circles
- In half of the medium circles cut out a smaller circle.
- Brush all the circles with a beaten egg.
- Place 1-2 cut out rings over the large circle, brush each ring and the edges with the beaten egg.
- Place on parchment paper lined cookie sheets and bake.
- Let cool before filling.
More Delicious Appetizers
Vol au Vent don’t take very long to bake about 15-20 minutes. I prefer to bake my puff pastry at a lower heat, so that it bakes completely.
While they are baking and cooling you can make your filling. In no time you have a fast, easy and delicious appetizer ready for your Holiday get together. Buon Appetito!
Bouchee a la Reine
Vol au Vent Appetizers
VOL AU VENT
- 1 puff pastry roll**
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 3/4 cup small shrimp
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3-4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped celery
- salt and pepper to taste
SMOKED SALMON FILLING**
- 1/4 cup smoked salmon (cut into strips)
- 1-2 tablespoon olive oil
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup arugula chopped
- 2 tablespoons parmesan ribbons
**Recipe can be doubled.
VOL AU VENT
- Pre heat oven to 350F (180C).
- Unroll the puff pastry dough, using a 2 1/2 -3 inch (6 cm) diameter circle cookie cutter, cut out circles. Remove half the circles and place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. The remaining disks, make a hole in the middle using a smaller cutter 1 1/2 inches (3 cm in diameter).
- Prick the circles with the fork tines and brush them with the beaten egg. On each of the circles place 1-2 cut out rings, (make sure to brush the rings and edges with beaten egg. This will help keep the the vol au vent together and also gives them a golden colour).
- Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes or until they appear swollen and golden. Let cool completely before filling.
- Cook shrimp in boiling water for about 2-3 minutes, drain well. Add to a medium bowl and toss with lemon juice, then add the mayonnaise, celery and salt and pepper to taste. Fill cooled vol au vent.
SMOKED SALMON FILLING
- In a small bowl add sliced salmon toss with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste and chopped arugula. Fill vol au vent and sprinkle with parmesan flakes.