Strawberry Cheesecake Pie is made with an Italian crostata pastry and a fluffy strawberry cheesecake filling, almost mousse like. Top with a dollop of whipped cream and fresh strawberries to make it the perfect dessert idea.
The first time I made this recipe was years ago when we were able to get together to celebrate one of the most popular holidays in Italy. May 1st which is equivalent to Labour Day in September. We spent the day with family and friends celebrating the holiday with the first barbecue of the season, we ate too much, drank too much and of course laughed ever so much.
These amazing people always make me feel like the dessert queen. Between ooing and awing they finished off my Chocolate Lasagna and my new creation the Strawberry Cheesecake Pie. This pie was ranked as one of the best yet! And years later I still feel the same way.
This pie is a cross between a cheesecake and a mousse, light and fluffy with the perfect taste of strawberry. I decided to make it with the a flaky and delectable Italian Pastry Crust Recipe.
Sometimes I like to drizzle the finished pie with chocolate or top it with freshly whipped cream and some sliced strawberries, both work really well, or why not a combination of both!
How to make Strawberry Cheesecake Pie
In a large bowl, gently whisk together flour, sugar and baking powder, make a well in the centre and add the slightly beaten egg and yolk and butter cut into pieces. Mix together to combine.
Move the mixture to a slightly floured flat surface and gently work the mixture to form a soft dough. Wrap it in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Remove the dough from the fridge and roll it to a 1/8″ thickness. Place the cut out pie crust in the prepared pie plate, prick the bottom of the crust, pie dough, then cover the dough with parchment paper and weigh it down with dry beans, rice or pie weights. Bake for approximately 12 minutes.
While pie crust is baking make the filling, in a medium bowl beat the cream cheese, sugar and egg, then add the blended strawberries and beat. Pour the filling onto the pie crust and bake.
Let cool and then refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight before serving.
How to know when cheesecake is baked
I usually check to see if it’s done by gently shaking the cheesecake. If it looks almost set and there is a small circle in the centre that jiggles a little, then it is done. The centre will firm up as the pie cools.
Or you can us a quick-read thermometer by checking the internal temperature. Stick the probe into the cake half way, the temperature should read 150F / 65C. Although remember this method will leave a small indentation in the pie.
How to store baked Cheesecake
The cooled baked cheesecake should be covered loosely with foil or plastic wrap and stored in the fridge, it will keep for up to one week. It can also be frozen, wrap the pie tightly with plastic wrap or foil and place in a freezer safe bag or container. It will keep up to two – three months in the freezer. Be sure to thaw the cheesecake in the fridge.
Why blind bake the crust?
The crust is pre baked for about 12 minutes to keep it from getting soggy from the ingredients while baking. Nothing worse than a soggy bottom!
What to use for blind baking a pie crust
I have used quite a few things to blind bake my crust, from dried beans, rice, sugar and of course ceramic pie weights.
What can I substitute for the fresh strawberry puree?
Instead of using pureed strawberries you can replace it with your favourite store bought or homemade strawberry jam, it will be a 1 for 1 substitution (1/2 cup) and add only 2-4 tablespoons of sugar instead of 1/2 cup (depending on how sweet your jam is). Mine was quite sweet so I only used 2 tablespoons.
More delicious Strawberry Recipes
So believe me when I say this Strawberry Cheesecake Mousse Pie is the perfect answer to a spring or summer time light dessert. Enjoy!
Strawberry Cheesecake Pie Recipe
FOR THE CRUST
- 1 3/4 cups flour (236 grams)
- 1/2 cup sugar 100 grams
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- 1 large egg yolk (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons butter (room temperature) (130 grams)
FOR THE FILLING
- 8 ounces whole fat cream cheese (225 grams)
- 6 tablespoons sugar (75 grams)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup strawberries blended/pureed (about 6-8 large strawberries) (110 grams)
FOR THE CRUST
- In a large bowl, gently whisk together flour, sugar and baking powder, make a well in the centre and add the slightly beaten egg and yolk and butter cut into pieces. Mix together to combine.
- Then place the mixture on a slightly floured flat surface and work the mixture to form a soft dough. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 340° (170° celsius). Lightly grease and flour or spray an 8 inch (20 cm) pie plate.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and gently knead the dough a couple of times to soften it up again. On a lightly floured flat surface roll the dough to 1/8" thickness. Place the cut out pie crust in the prepared pie plate, prick the bottom of the crust, pie dough, then cover the dough with parchment paper and weigh it down with dry beans, rice, sugar or pie weights. Bake for approximately 12 minutes. Remove from oven and remove the paper and beans.
FOR THE FILLING
- While pie crust is baking in a medium bowl add cream cheese, sugar and egg, and beat well, then add the blended strawberries and beat for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour filling into pie crust (if the crust rim is quite brown already, cover the rim of crust with foil), and bake for approximately 25-30 minutes, (filling should be firm around the outside and the inside wiggly when you shake the pie). Let cool and then refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight before serving. If desired drizzle with melted chocolate before serving or serve with a dollop of whipped cream. Enjoy!
Updated from May 3, 2015.
LOVE LOVE LOVE this So light and summery. Fantastic flavour!!!
Thanks Janet, so glad you enjoyed it. Have a great Sunday!
I don’t see the temperature to bake tge pie.
Hi Sue, it’s 340F (170C) it is written in the recipe card. The first paragraph. Hope that helps. Let me know how it goes.
Maureen | Orgasmic Chef says
Delightful! Very delightful! This cheesecake is perfect especially for spring. It’s so light and fluffy. The strawberry made it so amazing. I just love it. The chocolate on top is also perfect. This is lovely!
Hi Maureen, Thanks very much Maureen.
jessica knott (Swanky Recipes) says
Wow, this cheesecake sounds amazing! The chocolate on top is just perfect too!
April @ Girl Gone Gourmet says
Looks like a perfect warm weather cheesecake – the crust looks beautiful!
This looks yummy! And perfect for spring or summer dessert 🙂
Hi Emma, thanks very much.
Yum Girl says
Hi! This is Kelli from Yum Goggle. We appreciate your submission and love your photography. We will be featuring your post at many of the 12 social media platforms available to us at different times and possibly on different days. We are following you on all your available social media and hope you will do the same. If you have trouble with future submissions, please let us know and we will help you out as soon as possible. We are new owners and have redesigned the entire site while building on old platforms and opening up many new ones – we are small but not for long! Thank you for your trust in us. Kelli and Holli from YG
Joanne T Ferguson says
This looks absolutely delicious! Pinned and shared
Hi Joanne, thanks very much! Rosemary.
Marisa Franca @ All Our Way says
You have every right to feel proud of that dessert — it looks magnificent and your photos , well, they capture the richness and lightness perfectly. Certainly makes me want to dig in. I will have to make this as soon as we get back home and are with our family. Great recipe!!!!
Hi Marisa, you are always out and about! Have fun.
Hi Marisa, thanks, you are always so busy and out and about, have fun!