Easy Creamy Tuna Noodle Casserole, one of the most delicious casseroles you will eat. Full of tuna, peas or substitute with broccoli or mushrooms whatever vegetable you want, but this Tuna Casserole will always remain creamy and Yummy.
What is the weather like in your corner of the world? All I can say it is pretty darn cold here in Italy. What a big difference from last year.
Last year it was warm and sunny and in the South they were even enjoying days at the Sea, swimming and sunbathing, but not this year.
Be sure to watch the Video!
The weather was amazing for people last year but not so great for the olive trees. Unfortunately we had no olives to pick due to an infestation of fly eggs. So this year it’s looking good for the olives which makes the Italian happy.
With the fall of the thermometer and basically only a couple more months left for this winter season, I thought no time like the present then to make and enjoy the last few Comfort Dishes for this winter season.
Apparently the term comfort food was first used in 1977. Eating comfort food was suppose to increase positive feelings and help lift depression. Personally I think it works.
So with that in mind I thought this would be the perfect time to share one of my family’s all-time-favourite-casseroles, Creamy Tuna Noodle Casserole.
I love baked Pasta and Casserole dishes. The Creamier the better. I find the weekend is the best time to make these since most of them need a little more time.
And Sunday leftovers can be Monday night’s dinner, nothing better than that!
If you like to multi task, and three pots going at once is ok with you, you could have this casserole done and on the table in 35 minutes. Not bad for one of the tastiest casseroles in my opinion you will eat.
Tuna Noodle Casserole
If you don’t like peas, no problem, you could substitute with broccoli or cauliflower or even mushrooms if you please.
Actually my Mom always made it with broccoli, but we are a pea-loving-family so I use peas.
This amazing Creamy Tuna Noodle Casserole is full of everything you need, it is a meal in itself. Buon Appetito!
Easy Creamy Tuna Noodle Casserole
- 7 ounces dried egg noodles / (3 - 3 1/2 cups cooked)
- FOR THE WHITE SAUCE
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon basil
- dash of thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 cups milk (I use 2%)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup frozen peas 150 grams, you can substitute for broccoli or cauliflower
- 2 ounces cans tuna 2 x 6 1/2 / 2 x 184 grams, drained and flaked
- FOR THE TOPPING
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- Pre-heat oven to 350° (180° celsius). Lightly grease a 10 x 8 x 2 inch (27 x 21 x 6 centimeter) baking dish.
- In a small bowl with a fork combine melted butter and bread crumbs, set aside.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water cook the egg noodles al dente and drain.
- In a small pot of boiling water cook the peas till just tender.
- In a medium pot over low to medium heat melt 1/4 cup butter, whisk in flour, basil, oregano, thyme and salt. Slowly whisk in the milk and stir constantly until sauce thickens**
- Remove from heat and add the parmesan cheese stir to combine.
- Fold in the drained noodles, peas and tuna.
- Pour into the baking dish and sprinkle with topping. Bake 20 minutes, let sit 5 minutes and serve. Enjoy!
- **make sure the sauce starts to boil, then once it starts to boil lower the heat to simmer it whisking constantly until thickened.
Looking for other delicious recipes? I think you will enjoy these also!