A refreshing simple Limoncello Cake, the perfect dessert or perfect with a cup of tea or coffee. A sprinkling of Powdered Sugar is all it needs.
The main reason I am doing a Recipe for Limoncello Cake, is because I got an email from a reader asking me if I had ever tasted or made this type of Italian Cake.
She had visited Cinque Terre this summer (one of my “must see places in Italy btw) and was served this cake while she was visiting an Italian Vineyard.
Between the owner and her English and the visitor and her Italian she didn’t quite catch the whole recipe, (it kind of reminded me of me and the Italian 🙂 ).
What she did catch was enough for me to understand the ingredients and more or less the procedure. Although I did change it up a bit, meaning it took me a few times to get it just how we liked it.
How to make a Limoncello Cake
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cream egg yolks and sugar until creamy and light.
- Then add the Limoncello, vegetable oil and lemon zest, beat until smooth.
- Beat the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients until combined.
- Fold in the egg whites and pour into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake in a pre heated oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Let the cake cool then dust with powdered sugar.
This Cake can be made with either store bought or Homemade Limoncello.
I had some of my Homemade Limoncello in the fridge so I just used that, and to tell the truth this cake is not at all overpowering, just a nice subtle Lemony taste.
More Lemon Desserts you may enjoy!
I hope you enjoy it and if you have ever been to Cinque Terre or it’s on your bucket list, then this Limoncello Cake will be a tasty memory of your visit to Italy. Enjoy.
Homemade Limoncello Cake
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (187.50 grams)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- 3 large eggs*
- 1 egg yolk*
- 1 1/2 cups + 2 tablespoons sugar (325 grams)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use corn oil) (100 grams)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons Limoncello* (72 grams)
- zest 1 lemon*
*Ingredients should be room temperature, remove from fridge 45-60 minutes before using.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C). Grease and flour a 9 inch (23 cm) bundt pan or 8 inch (20 cm) cake pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl beat until stiff peaks appear the 3 egg whites.
- In a large bowl beat the 4 yolks and sugar until light and creamy (about 3-5 minutes). Then add the vegetable oil, limoncello and zest, beat until smooth.
- Stir the flour mixture into the yolk mixture and combine, then gently fold in the egg whites until combined. Spoon into prepared cake pan. Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool before dusting with powdered sugar. Enjoy!