This Jam Cake is soft and tender with a layer of jam baked inside. It’s so easy to make and perfect any time of day when you want a delicious piece of cake.
Jam cake is one of my favorite easy cake recipes. It has a wonderful texture and it’s an easy way to make a filled cake. You can use any flavor of jam you like and can even use your favorite homemade jam.
For this recipe, we’re using cake flour so the cake has a soft and tender crumb. No cake flour on hand? No problem, because I’m also sharing how to make your own with all-purpose flour. It’s easy and then you have no excuse not to try this cake!
If you need an easy dessert or afternoon snack cake, jam cake is a great one to try. I love it any time of day – even for breakfast! A slice is so good with a cup of coffee.
Ready to learn how to make this easy jam cake? I think you will really enjoy it.
- Cake flour (pastry flour)
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Granulated sugar
- Vegetable oil (or the same amount of melted butter)
- Large eggs
- Large egg yolk
- Greek yogurt
- Whole milk (or 2%)
- Vanilla extract
- Jam – You can use pretty much any flavor but I like strawberry, blueberry, or cherry.
Be sure to use room temperature eggs, yogurt, and milk. If you use cold ingredients, they will be harder to mix without overmixing the cake batter.
How to make homemade cake flour
You can make cake flour by measuring out one cup of all-purpose flour and removing two tablespoons and replacing it with cornstarch. Do this for the amount of flour you need in the recipe and then sift, so there are no lumps. Cake flour in cakes will give you a very tender texture and fine crumb, it will also help the cake to rise.
How to Make the Cake
Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl. In a separate large bowl, beat the sugar and oil until the mixture is light.
Add the eggs and extra yolk one at a time, beating between each addition. Add the yogurt, milk, and vanilla. Beat the batter for two minutes.
Add the dry ingredients in batches, mixing between each one. Spread half of the batter in the prepared cake pan. I just eyed it which you can see I didn’t eye it very well! If you want it to be accurate then I advise you to measure or weigh the batter. Or you may have a better eye than me. 🙂
Bake it for 15 minutes at 350°F, then spread the jam on top. Spread the rest of the cake batter over the batter.
Bake the cake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 15 to 20 minutes and then turn it out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Dust the cake with powdered sugar for serving.
Storing Jam Cake
Once the cake is cool, you can cover it well with plastic wrap or place in an airtight container, it will keep at room temperature for up to 2 days, or refrigerate for up to a week. Bring to room temperature before serving.
You can freeze it, too. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and store it in a large freezer bag or airtight container. It will keep in the freezer for up to two months.
Every bite of this cake has a wonderful layer of jam baked inside. It’s a great anytime cake that everyone will want to try. Enjoy!
More Cake Recipes
Simple Jam Cake
- 2¼ cups + 2 tablespoons cake/pastry flour (300 grams total)
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil (I use sunflower or corn oil)
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 large egg yolk (room temperature)
- ½ cup greek yogurt (room temperature)
- ¼ cup milk (whole or 2%)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅓-½ cup jam (strawberry, blueberry, cherry or wild berry)
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C). Grease and flour an 8 or 9 inch cake pan (I used an 8 inch).
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the mixing bowl beat the sugar and vegetable oil until light 2-3 minutes. Add the eggs and yolk 1 at a time, beat to combine after each addition. Add the yogurt, milk and vanilla, beat 2 minutes. Add the dry ingredient in 3 additions. Beat 1 minute.
- Spread ½ the batter* in the prepared cake pan, bake 15 minutes, remove and spread the jam on top, carefully spread the remaining batter on top of the jam and continue to bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Let cool in pan 15-20 minutes then move to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar before serving. Enjoy!
- *I just eyed it and as you can see from the photos I was a bit off, if you want it even then you will have to measure or weigh the batter.
Leave a Reply