Lazy Cabbage Rolls, the perfect quick, easy and delicious weeknight meal. No stuffing required, mix all together and dinner is ready.
Lazy Cabbage Rolls
I love this recipe, this is a recipe that my Mom made way back when. I imagine this is when Casseroles were all the rage.
When I moved to Italy from Canada my Mom gave me most of her recipes all written out in her hand writing, but unfortunately this was not in the group.
How I have looked for this easy Lazy Cabbage Rolls recipe everywhere over the years, from food blogs to googling it, from asking my sisters and anyone and everyone who ever tasted this Lazy Cabbage Rolls recipe.
No one had it and no one remembered how it was made or so I thought.
This was another of the lost and found recipes that my sister in Toronto had. One of the tastiest and easiest casseroles to make.
This Recipe can be made in the oven or as I started making it on the stove in a skillet, brown the beef first, then throw everything else in, cover and let it all simmer together for about 30 minutes
and there you have it, comfort food at its best. And this is just what these Lazy Cabbage Rolls are.
I have always loved cabbage rolls, my best friend’s mother is of Ukrainian decent and she would make the best (and still does) cabbage rolls and Pierogi (I love those too!).
I have made cabbage rolls the classic way and yes they are amazing, but very time consuming, too many dirty dishes, but these Lazy Cabbage Rolls come together so quickly! And what could be better then everything mixed together in one bowl?
This wonderful, delicious Lazy Cabbage Rolls dish have everything, cabbage, ground beef, tomatoes, rice and spices. Perfect for cold fall or winter evenings and you are looking for something comforting and yes healthy.
Could be the ideal Saturday or Sunday evening meal. I do hope you will enjoy this as much as I do and now my family does too, let me know. Buon Appetito!
Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls
Lazy Cabbage Rolls
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef (1/2 kilo)
- 4 cups shredded or finely chopped cabbage
- 1 can whole Plum/Marzano Tomatoes chopped (nothing added) (400 grams)
- 2 1/2 cups water (590 grams)
- 3/4 cup uncooked rice (150 grams)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon oregano
- 1-2 pinches of hot pepper flakes (if desired)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch pinch of thyme (optional)
- 4-5 fresh basil leaves chopped (or more if desired)
- In a large frying pan add the olive oil, garlic, onion, and ground beef, cook on medium heat until almost all browned.
- Then add the cabbage, tomatoes, water and rice, stir to combine, then add the spices, stir to combine. Cook over low-medium heat for approximately 30 minutes or until cooked and thickened. Enjoy!
Updated from October 30, 2014