These Unstuffed or Lazy Cabbage Rolls, make the perfect quick, easy and delicious weeknight meal. No stuffing required, no side dish needed, it’s a meal in itself!
I love this recipe, this is a recipe that my Mom made way back when. I imagine this is when Casseroles were all the rage. When I moved to Italy from Canada my Mom gave me most of her recipes all written out in her hand writing, but unfortunately this was not in the group.
How I have looked for this easy Lazy Cabbage Rolls recipe everywhere over the years, from food blogs to googling it, from asking my sisters and anyone and everyone who ever tasted this recipe. No one had it and no one remembered how it was made or so I thought. This was another of the lost and found recipes that my sister in Toronto had. One of the tastiest and easiest casseroles to make.
How to make it
In a large frying pan add the olive oil, garlic, onion, and ground beef, cook on medium heat until almost all browned.
Then add the cabbage, tomatoes, water and rice, stir to combine, add the spices and combine. Cook over low-medium heat until cooked and thickened.
This recipe can be made in the oven or as I usually make it, in a skillet on top of stove.
How to store it
Any left overs should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge. It will keep for up to 3 days. It can also be frozen in a freezer safe container. It will keep for up to 2-3 months in the freezer. Thaw overnight in the fridge, re-heat either in the microwave, oven or in a skillet on the stove.
More Delicious Casseroles
I have made cabbage rolls the classic way and yes they are amazing, but very time consuming, too many dirty dishes, but these Lazy Cabbage Rolls come together so quickly! And what could be better then everything mixed together in one bowl? Let me know if you try it. Buon Appetito!
Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1 pound lean ground beef (1/2 kilo)
- 4 cups shredded or finely chopped cabbage (320 grams)
- 1 can whole Plum/Marzano Tomatoes chopped (nothing added) (14 ounces) (400 grams)
- 2 ½ cups water (590 grams)
- ¾ cup uncooked rice (150 grams)
- ½-1 teaspoon oregano
- 1-2 pinches of hot pepper flakes (if desired)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch pinch of thyme (optional)
- 4-5 fresh basil leaves or parsley chopped (or more if desired)
- In a large frying pan add the olive oil, garlic, onion, and ground beef, cook on medium heat until almost all browned.
- Then add the cabbage, tomatoes, water and rice, stir to combine, add the spices and combine. Cook over low-medium heat for approximately 30 minutes or until cooked and thickened. Enjoy!
Updated from October 30, 2014