This Cauliflower Casserole is baked in a white sauce with Parmesan Cheese. A fast and easy side dish that is perfect with any meal. The perfect comfort food baked casserole recipe.
Creamy Cauliflower Casserole
When it comes to Fall veggies, Cauliflower can’t be beat. From roasting to just steaming and tossing with some salt and olive oil it’s always delicious.
But when you want something a little more fancy, then this Cauliflower Casserole is perfect. Baked with a creamy white sauce and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese, it’s perfect.
How to make a Cauliflower Casserole
- In a medium sized pot melt the butter and whisk in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth.
- If you like you can also add some fresh chopped thyme or parsley.
- Slowly add the milk stirring constantly, bring to a boil and boil for about 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- Place a couple of tablespoons of the white sauce on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Spoon the al dente cauliflower on top.
- And pour the remaining sauce on top.
- Sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- Bake, let sit about 5 minutes then serve.
What to serve with a Cauliflower Casserole
How to store a Veggie Casserole
A cauliflower casserole should be covered tightly and stored in the fridge. It will last up to two to three days. Re-heat either in the microwave or oven.
Is Cauliflower healthy?
It also provides antioxidants and phytonutrients that may protect against cancer. It contains fiber which can help with weight loss and digestion,
and choline which is essential for learning and memory, and many other nutrients.
What’s the difference between Cauliflower and Broccoli?
One of the main differences is Broccoli contains vitamin A, whereas cauliflower does not. Of the two Cauliflower is lower in calories.
Both of these veggies have tightly bunched florets that grow from a central stem. Broccoli has a stronger flavour, while cauliflower is more delicate.
More Delicious Cauliflower & Broccoli Recipes
So if you are looking for a simply creamy Casserole Side Dish to serve during this Fall or Winter season then I hope you give the Creamy Cauliflower Casserole a try and let me know what you think. Buon Appetito!
Creamy Cauliflower Casserole
- 8 inch casserole baking dish
- 1 head cauliflower (broken into florets)
- 1/4 cup butter (55 grams)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour (33 grams)
- 1-2 pinches salt*
- 1-2 dashes pepper
- 1-2 stems fresh thyme or parsley (chopped)
- 2 1/2 cups milk (600 grams)
*if you use unsalted butter then add 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- 3-4 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese (20-28 grams)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F (180C).
- Cook the cauliflower for about 3-5 minutes or al dente either by boiling in a large pot of water or vapour. Drain well, for approximately 10 minutes.
- While cauliflower is draining, in a medium / large pot add the butter and melt, then whisk in the flour, salt, pepper and thyme.
- Then slowly add the milk, stirring constantly, bring to a boil and boil for approximately 2-3 minutes until thickened.
- Place 2-3 tablespoons of white sauce on the bottom of the 8 inch baking dish. Add the drained cauliflower and cover with remaining white sauce. Then sprinkle with the parmesan cheese. Bake for 15 minutes, then raise the heat to 400F (200C) and bake for another 5 minutes or until golden. Let sit 5 minutes then serve. Enjoy!