A soft Delicious Lemon Cake filled with an Italian Lemon Pastry Cream, then baked. The perfect Lemon Lover’s Dessert Recipe. Add a dusting of Powdered Sugar or even a dollop of whipped cream, Lemon Cake never tasted so good.
Italian Pastry Cream Filled Lemon Cake
I have to tell you I have been working on the cake for a while now, which means I have made it a few times.
I had some leftover Lemon Pastry Cream from redoing some delicious Italian Cream Filled Pastries Pasticciotti or a simple Summer Berry Trifle with Pastry Cream. I knew I wanted to make a cake with Pastry Cream but would it work? I wasn’t sure.
I discovered there is actually a Cake called Nua. Some say it is French, or German or even Venetian and the woman who invented it was call Nua. What I do know is that it is quite popular here in Italy.
I decided to use my cake recipe because I find Italian cakes to be on the drier side, even though the addition of the Pastry Cream will add some moisture, but I didn’t think it would be enough. And of course I used my Pastry Cream because, well I believe it’s one of the best.
You are going to have a little leftover Lemon Pastry Cream, so you could always fill some tart shells and top them with some fresh fruit or top a Sponge Cake or why not do like the Italian and just grab a spoon!
How to Make an Italian Pastry Cream Filled Lemon Cake:
- The first thing to do is make the Italian Pastry Cream, the cream takes time to cool down about 1-2 hours, it doesn’t have to be cold just not hot. You could probably refrigerate it for about 30 minutes.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together and set aside.
- Once the cream has cooled down, then beat the eggs, yolk and sugar until pale and creamy, this should take about 5 minutes.
- Then add the milk, oil and vanilla, and combine on medium speed, add the whisked dry ingredients and again beat until combined.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9 inch cake pan, then drop spoonfuls of the Italian Pastry Cream on top of the batter, do not swirl or stir.
- Bake your cake for about 40 – 45 minutes. I would suggest since all ovens are different, check the cake for doneness with a toothpick at about 35 minutes.
- Let the cake cool then dust with powdered sugar or why not add a dollop of whipped cream?
How to make Homemade Cake Flour:
Making your own Cake flour is so easy, from every cup of flour remove two tablespoons of the flour and replace with corn starch, be sure to sift them together to remove any lumps.
Tips for making the perfect Cream Filled Lemon Cake:
Check the cake after about 30 minutes and if it seems to be browning too much then cover it with foil and continue baking. I also would advise using a Springform Cake Pan for easy removal.
How to make a Cake Moist:
- Egg whites make a cake drier so add just the yolk instead of the whole egg.
- Substituting cake flour for all purpose will make a softer cake.
- Measure the flour correctly, spoon the flour into the measuring cup and level off with the blade of a knife.
- Don’t let the cake over bake.
- Be sure to add the correct amount of fat or liquid, not adding enough can cause a cake to be dry.
How to make the Best Pastry Cream:
How to Store the Lemon Cake:
Because there is Pastry cream in the cake it should be stored in the refrigerator. Be sure to eat the cake within 3 days.
More Delicious Lemon Recipes:
- Easy Lemon Charlotte
- Lemon Shortbread Cookies
- Best Homemade Lemon Bread
- Tablespoon Italian Lemon Cake
So if you are a lover of Italian Pastry Cream or looking for a different type of Dessert I hope you enjoy this Italian Pastry Cream Filled Lemon Cake. Enjoy!
Italian Pastry Cream Filled Lemon Cake Recipe
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour* (300 grams)
- 1 pinch salt*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- zest 1/2 - 1 lemon
- 3 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 egg yolk (room temperature)
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (180 grams)
- 1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons milk (room temperature) (100 grams)
- 1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (133 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
LEMON PASTRY CREAM
- 3/4 cup milk (180 grams)
- 3/4 cup cream whipping/whole cream (165 grams)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar (100 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 tablespoons flour
- peel from 1 or 2 lemons no white part
LEMON PASTRY CREAM
- In a medium pot, heat over low the milk, cream and lemon rind, until very hot but do not boil. Remove from heat and let cool to warm.
- In a medium pot add yolks and sugar, whisk together until combined, then add flour and vanilla and whisk again until smooth, place the pot over medium / low heat, pour the warm milk/cream through a sieve to remove the lemon rind (discard), whisk continuously until thickened. Move to a glass bowl, cover with plastic wrap (make sure wrap touches the cream mixture) and let cool, approximately 1-2 hours or refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 350° (180° celsius) Grease and flour a 9 inch (23-24 cm) cake pan (a springform pan if you have it).
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, salt, baking powder and zest, set aside.
- In a large bowl on medium speed beat the eggs, yolk and sugar until pale and creamy, approximately 5 minutes, then beat in the milk, vegetable oil and vanilla until combined, then add the whisked flour mixture and combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and spoon 3/4 of the pastry cream on top of the batter, do not stir. Bake for approximately 40-45 minutes. Check the cake at about 30-35 minutes and if browning on top too much, cover with foil and continue baking until done. Test with a toothpick for doneness. Let cool completely before dusting with powder sugar. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.