A delicious summer cake made with fresh or canned peaches. This easy moist cake makes the perfect snack or dessert recipe. Serve it with a scoop of ice cream!
Summer in Italy brings us homegrown veggies (thanks to my sister and brother in-laws) from zucchini, to eggplant to tomatoes. But I have to say thanks to the Italian for planting some delicious fruit trees.
Just like these beautiful perfect peaches. My husband’s second request was a homemade peach cake, his first was a Classic Italian Bellini.
This easy to make moist cake doesn’t need any frosting, although I won’t stop you from adding it if you want to.
I did serve it with a scoop of creamy vanilla ice cream which was the perfect addition.
How to make a Peach Cake
- In a medium bowl whisk together the dry ingredients.
- With electric beaters beat on medium/low speed the egg, yolk and sugar until light.
- Then while still beating slowly add the melted butter, milk and vanilla
- Finally add the flour and beat to combine, the batter is quite thick.
- Fold in the chopped peaches.
- Spoon it into the prepared bundt pan, sprinkle with a little cinnamon sugar and bake.
How to store the Peach Cake
The cake can be stored overnight at room temperature well covered, although anymore time and it should be refrigerated. It will last 4-5 days in the fridge.
The cake can also be frozen, make sure it is completely cooled before tightly wrapping it in plastic, then place the cake in an airtight freezer bag or container. I will last up to 3-4 months in the freezer.
Can you use canned or frozen Peaches?
If using canned peaches be sure to drain them well, let them sit in a strainer for about 15 or 20 minutes before you chop them. Frozen peaches should be chopped but not thawed.
I also decided to add one of my favourite toppings on the cake before baking, I sprinkled it with a couple of tablespoons of cinnamon sugar.
How to make Cinnamon Sugar
In a small bowl mix together 1/4 cup of granulated sugar and 2-3 teaspoons of ground cinnamon. The cinnamon sugar can be stored in a mason jar or an airtight container.
It should be kept in a cool dry place, it will last up to two years, it’s still good after two years but it may loose the strength of the cinnamon.
Cinnamon sugar is delicious not only sprinkled on this peach cake before baking, but also on warm buttered toast (one of my favourites), pancakes or waffles or how about on oatmeal or cereal for breakfast?
If you love Peaches then maybe you will like these other Peach Desserts
- Easy Peach Puff Pastry Roses
- Easy Italian Peach Crumb Cake
- Homemade Creamy Fresh Peach Ice Cream
- Peach Filled Italian Crostata Bars
- Fresh Peach Pie
So if you are like us and love fruit desserts during the Summer, or anytime for that matter. I hope you give this Peach Cake a try and let me know how it goes.
Easy Summer Peach Cake
- 1/2 cup + 1 1/2 tablespoons butter (melted and cooled) (120 grams)
- 2-3 ripe peaches peeled, pitted and chopped (2 cups)
- 2 cups all purpose flour (260 grams)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup sugar (100 grams)
- 1/3 cup milk (80 grams)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar*
*To make cinnamon sugar mix together 1/4 cup of granulated sugar and 2-3 teaspoons of cinnamon.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C). Grease and flour a 9-9 1/2 inch (24 cm) bundt pan or 8 inch(20cm) round cake pan.
- In a small pot melt the butter, set aside to cool.
- Toss the chopped peaches with 1 teaspoon of flour, set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- On low/medium speed beat the egg, yolk and sugar until light, approximately 3-4 minutes, then slowly add the cooled melted butter while continuing to beat, then add the milk and vanilla and combine, add the flour mixture and beat just to combine. The batter will be thick. Fold in the chopped peaches, then add the batter to the prepared cake pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and bake for approximately 30-40 minutes. Check for doneness with a toothpick. Let cool before removing from pan. Serve with a scoop of ice cream if desired. Enjoy!
- To make cinnamon sugar, mix together the sugar and cinnamon.