There’s nothing quite like the aroma of freshly baked pumpkin bread wafting through your kitchen. This quick bread is a beloved autumn classic, combining the warm, comforting flavors of pumpkin, spices, and a touch of sweetness in an easy bread recipe.
It is perfect way to start the day or have with a cup of tea or coffee as a snack. Or why not try it as a dessert? Quick breads are one of my favorite sweets to make from a simple Lemon Bread to a Streusel topped Blueberry Bread to a delicious fall Apple Crumb bread or why not a Classic Banana bread?
There is no better way to celebrate Harvest than with a delicious Moist Pumpkin Bread. With no need for a mixer this loaf is quick and easy to make.
- Baking soda
- Pumpkin puree – either homemade or store bought can of pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- Oil – vegetable oil, a light olive oil or melted butter
- Sugar – light brown sugar
- Nuts – chopped nuts
You can either use homemade or store bought Pumpkin Puree, add the perfect fall spices and of course your choice of nuts to bring together a tasty Autumn sweet bread.
How to make an easy Pumpkin Bread recipe
Whisk flour, salt, soda and spices. In a large bowl combine well the pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, water and sugar.
Add the flour mixture and nuts to the wet ingredients and stir just to combine.
Pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake until a toothpick comes out dry or with a few crumbs attached.
Let cool in the pan then move to a wire rack to cool completely before serving.
The best nuts for adding to Pumpkin
The best nuts for pumpkin are chopped pecans (that is what I used in this bread), walnuts or even hazelnuts.
What does stir just to combine mean?
It means to combine the dry ingredients with the liquid ingredients until the dry ingredients are moistened but the mixture is still slightly lumpy. Do not over mix or mix until smooth or your loaf will turn out dry and tough.
Instead of nuts you could add raisins, but be sure to place them in boiling water for about 15-20 minutes then drain well, this plumbs them up so that they don’t take any moisture from the bread while baking, that would lead to a dry not very appetizing loaf. Or even add some chocolate chips to the batter instead.
If you wish you could frost with a simple cream cheese frosting.
If you prefer you could make pumpkin muffins instead of a loaf. This recipe should give you approximately 12 muffins.
How to store Pumpkin Loaf
Tightly wrap the cooled bread in plastic wrap, it can be kept at room temperature for two to three days. If you prefer you can store it in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
This sweet bread can also be frozen whole or in individual slices. Tightly wrap the bread in plastic wrap or aluminum foil then place in a freezer bag or container. It will keep for up to three months in the freezer.
This is one of those loaves that really doesn’t need a glaze or frosting, it is good just they way it is. So if you want to give it a try let me know what you think. Enjoy!
Quick & Easy Pumpkin Bread
- loaf pan
- 1¾ cups all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- 1 pinch ginger
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 large eggs beaten
- ½ cup light olive oil or vegetable oil
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts or hazelnuts)
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C). Lightly grease and flour an 8½ -9 inch (21-23 cm) loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger.
- In a large bowl add the puree, eggs, oil, water and sugar and combine well.
- Add the flour mixture and the nuts to the the puree mixture and mix just until combined. About 15-16 stirs, do not over mix.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for approximately 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely before slicing and serving. Enjoy!