This Smoked Salmon Appetizer is a fast and easy Italian recipe. Topped with flakes of fresh parmesan cheese, arugula and drizzled with olive oil. Add a splash of lemon juice and it makes the perfect appetizer and quick dinner idea.
When I first came to Italy I must admit I was quite iffy about a lot of foods. Salmon included, especially smoked salmon. But after I tasted this Smoked Salmon Appetizer I changed my mind.
Sometimes for dinner I just love to make a few appetizers dishes such as Grilled Zucchini or Egglplant and I love to include this Smoked Salmon recipe.
I am a die hard Arugula and Parmesan Cheese lover, I can put them on anything.
- Smoked salmon
- Arugula – also known as rocket
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice – fresh lemon juice
- Parmesan cheese – fresh flaked parmesan cheese
What is authentic Parmesan?
Parmigiano Reggiano cheese is authentic or DOP (Denominazione di Origine Protetta which means Protected Designation of Origin), and Parmesan cheese is just an imitation of Parmigiano Reggiano.
Reggiano is always made in Italy, while Parmesan can be made anywhere, there are no restrictions on using the name Parmesan. And don’t forget a less expensive but also a DOP choice is Parmigiano Grana Padano.
But what exactly is Arugula / Rocket / Rugula / Rucola?
It’s leafy green vegetable that is full of nutritional benefits for almost every part of the body, from the brain to the liver, including the skin and blood vessels.
This dark green salad leaf has a slightly bitter, peppery flavour. Because of it’s sharp bite it is the perfect choice to cleanse your palate. It is very popular eaten raw in a salad or throw some on a pizza or even make a delicious Pesto.
How to make a Smoke Salmon Appetizer recipe
Arrange slices of the salmon on a large plate, squeeze the lemon juice on the salmon, top with rucola, then drizzle with the olive oil (and salt if needed) and top with the flakes of parmesan cheese.
This is delicious served with fresh Italian crusty bread or a simple Italian bruschetta (italian bread toasted on the barbecue or grill, sprinkled with salt and drizzled with olive oil).
I tend to make this at least once a week, fast,easy and delicious, and as we all know salmon is really good for us.
How to store it
Store any leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container or cover the plate with plastic wrap. It will keep for up to 3-4 days in the fridge.
Smoked Salmon appetizer is not only tasty with Italian crusty bread (or plain white pizza) but also served on a Simple Bruschetta. So go give it a taste. And I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Buon Appetito!
Smoked Salmon Rucola (Arugula)
- 7 ounces smoked salmon (thin slices) 200 grams
- 1 cup of a rucola (a handful more or less)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil 35 grams
- 1/2 fresh lemon or more to taste
- 1/4 cup freshly flaked parmesan cheese (can be flaked with a knife or potato peeler)
- salt to taste
- Arrange slices of salmon on a large plate, squeeze the juice of 1/2 a lemon on the salmon, top with rucola, then drizzle with the olive oil (and salt if needed) and top with the flakes of parmesan cheese. This is delicious served with fresh Italian crusty bread or a simple Italian bruschetta (italian bread toasted on the barbecue or grill, sprinkled with salt and drizzled with olive oil). Enjoy!
Wow! This looks amazing! yesss 😉
Thalia @ butter and brioche says
Love anything smoked salad related so this is perfect for me! Definitely great for a light lunch.. thanks for the idea!
Hi Thalia, thanks for stopping by, this is gone in 5 seconds in my house.