Italian Baked Fennel is an easy side dish, made with fresh Italian parsley, Parmesan cheese and a little Olive oil. So good and good for you!
Good thing about having a brother and sister in-law that have a large garden, they plant so much that I am lucky to receive lots of fresh produce.
This year there was an over abundance of Fennel. We love this vegetable. Any and every way.
I remember going to Venice with my sister by train a few years ago and a couple of Italian girls were eating cut up Fennel as a snack. Better than potato chips.
In fact my daughter goes crazy for the stuff, I hardly get it sliced and she has already eaten half.
I usually make a fast and easy Raw Fennel Salad, just slice it up and toss with a little salt and olive oil, or add it to a green tossed salad.
Is Fennel good for you? It sure is.
- Because of it’s calcium content, it helps to maintain bone strength.
- Which mean it is also good for your skin.
- It helps to lower blood pressure.
- It helps in digestion.
- It is also a cancer prevention veggie.
- And also helps decrease the risk of Heart Disease. So eat away!
What does Fennel taste like?
- Some people say it has a licorice taste, I find it has a slight licorice taste but nothing over powering.
- Try not to use the tops if you don’t like the licorice taste. And baked it is out of this world, delicious.
How to cut Fennel?
- Cut off the stalks.
- Cut the bulb in half lengthwise, then cut it in half again.
- Remove the hard core in the middle.
- Slice the quarters as thin or thick as you like.
- Use immediately or refrigerate and use within 2 days.
I have been making this Italian Parmesan Baked Fennel Recipe so many times this year, I am obsessed with it.
I like to add a minimum amount of bread crumbs and extra parmesan with a dash or two of black pepper and some fresh chopped Italian Parsley.
I hope you enjoy this Simple and Easy Gratin Baked Fennel. Buon Appetito!
More Easy Italian Vegetable Recipes
Italian Parmesan Baked Fennel
- 2-3 fennel (cleaned and thinly sliced)
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 dashes pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian Parsley
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F (200°C), lightly grease a medium baking dish.
- Clean the fennel by cutting off the stalks, then cut the bulb in half lengthwise. Remove the hard core in the middle, then cut thin slices.
- In a small bowl mix together the parmesan, bread crumbs, salt, pepper and oregano.
- Line the slices in the prepared baking pan and sprinkle with the parmesan mixture. Drizzle with a tablespoon or two of olive oil and bake for approximately 20 minutes or until the fennel is tender. Serve immediately. Enjoy!