Chocolate Easter Egg Nest Cake, a delicious moist Chocolate Cake with a Cream Cheese Frosting and lots of sprinkles makes this the perfect Easter Cake Dessert.
Chocolate Easter Egg Nest Cake
It’s almost that time of the year again, time for Easter! Seems we just finished with Christmas and here it is Easter.
And to tell the truth Christmas can sometimes be overwhelming with all the gift buying and decorating. I love Christmas but I really miss my Canadian Christmases back home.
Easter just seems to be more laid back and relaxing. Italians even have a saying “Natale con i tuoi e Pasqua con chi voi” (Christmas with your family and Easter with whoever you want).
And yeah gotta love that chocolate.
So why not make a delicious Chocolate Dessert? I made the best (in my opinion) chocolate cake recipe that I got from my cousin.
Covered it in sprinkles, (check out this You Tube Video from Mary, a fellow blogger that made adding the sprinkles so much easier.
I frosted it with my go to Cream Cheese Frosting.
How to make a Chocolate Nest
- Use a couple of cups Bran Sticks Cereal (I couldn’t find chow mien noodles, but next time I might just break up some pretzel sticks, which I’m sure would have been really good)
- Mix the sticks with melted Dark Chocolate.
- Then place a piece of parchment paper in a small glass bowl to cover the inside
- Then spoon some of the bran mixture on the parchment paper to form a nest
- Place it in the freezer for about an hour.
Chocolate Nest Cake
After I removed it from the freezer I placed it on top of the cake and filled it with some chocolate eggs. And there you have a quick, easy and really cute Easter Cake. Delicious too! Enjoy!
- 2 cups sugar (400 grams)
- 1 3/4 cups flour (224 grams)
- 3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder (75 grams)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder (7.5 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (2.5 grams)
- 1 teaspoon salt (5.6 grams)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk (230 grams)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (112 grams)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla (8.4 grams)
- 1 cup boiling water (236 grams)
- 1/2 cup butter softened (125 grams)
- 4 ounces cream cheese (125 grams)
- 5 cups powdered / icing sugar (1 kilo)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla (2.1 grams)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 gram (1 gram)
- 1/4 cup cream (60 grams)
- 1-2 cups chocolate sprinkles (75-150 grams)
- 1/2 cup bran stick cereal, broken pretzels or dried chow mein noodles
- 3 1/2 ounces dark chocolate melted (100 grams)
- Pre-heat oven to 350°, grease and flour 2 - 9 inch cake pans.
- In a large bowl whisk together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt then add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla beat for 2 minutes on medium speed, then add boiling water and stir to combine (do not beat, batter will be thin). Pour into prepared cake pans and bake for approximately 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes in cake pans then remove to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- In a medium bowl beat together butter and cream cheese on medium-high speed until creamy approximately 1 minute. Lower speed to medium and add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, beat well after each addition. Add salt, half and half and vanilla and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
To frost the cake, place the first layer on a large plate top side down, spread with approximately 1 cup of frosting, place the second cake top side down and frost with remaining frosting. Cover cake with sprinkles. Top with nest and fill with mini chocolate eggs. Enjoy!
Mix bran cereal, broken pretzels or chow mein with melted chocolate.
Line a small bowl with parchment paper, and pour chocolate mixture into bowl, form into a next form and freeze, check after 10-15 minutes and reform if necessary, refreeze until firm.
Other Layer Cakes You May Enjoy!