Italian Easter Bread Breakfast Casserole, a fast and easy Delicious French Toast type Breakfast Casserole, Cinnamon and Brown Sugar make it Perfect!
Whenever Easter rolls around I have this huge nostalgia for the Chocolate Factory that was right beside us. We would step out of the house in the morning and the smell of chocolate was the perfect soft and inviting perfume.
There was nothing like those Chocolate Eggs and Christmas Torrone! Unfortunately they are no more and we now purchase our Chocolate Easter Eggs in the Supermarket!
At Christmas Time there is Panettone and Pandoro, the difference being that Panettone is more of a fruit bread, usually containing candied fruit and raisins and Pandoro is just what it translates to – a Golden Bread.
And of course Easter has it’s own Bread, Colomba, which mean Dove in English and yes that is the shape of this Sweet Bread. And I might mention, one of my favourites.
I have always been interested in Breakfast Casseroles, not much of a French Toast lover but the thought of it baked intrigued me. And even better this Italian Easter Bread Breakfast Casserole has no need for an overnight soak. Bonus!
My Easter Bread Breakfast Casserole, is made with cut up Colomba or you could use any kind of Sweet Bread. I made an egg, milk, brown sugar and cinnamon mixture and poured it over the cut up bread. Mixed it all together and …..
While the bread soaked I made a Cinnamon Crumb Topping, I am a big fan of Crumb Toppings. I made sure to bake it long enough because neither I nor the Italian like our baked food soggy!
I let it sit for about 5 minutes before we dug in, we drizzled it with a little Maple Syrup, but I’m sure a dusting of powdered sugar would have been tasty too!
I have to say the leftover bit of this Italian Easter Bread Breakfast Casserole was enjoyed by friends and especially my youngest daughter cold. Either way I hope you enjoy it too.
Other Breakfast Treats you May Enjoy!
- Peaches and Cream Roll Bread
- Traditional Italian Breakfast Cookies
- Easy Yogurt Cake
- Apple Pie Breakfast Turnovers
- Cinnamon Almond Welsh Cakes
Italian Easter Bread Breakfast Casserole
- 4 cups Colomba medium cubed (or any sweet bread or even croissant)
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1¼ cups milk
- 1½ -2 tablespoons brown sugar (lightly placed)
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup brown sugar (lightly packed)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Pre-heat oven to 375F/190C. Use a 9½ x 6½ inch casserole dish.
- In a medium bowl whisk together eggs and milk until well combined, whisk in cinnamon, brown sugar and salt.
- Add melted butter to casserole dish, top with cubed sweet bread, pour egg mixture on top, stir gently to combine, set aside.
- Top soaked bread cubes with crumb mixture, bake for approximately 45-60 minutes until puffy and baked through. Let sit 5 minutes, serve with maple syrup or powdered sugar. Enjoy!
- In a small bowl mix together cinnamon, brown sugar and flour, cut in butter and combine to form small crumbs.