Dark Chocolate Pear Cake, a delicious moist cake made with fresh pears and rich dark chocolate. A dessert everyone will love.
Dark Chocolate Pear Cake even the name sounds lovely doesn’t it? This is one of the Italian’s favourite Cakes. He loves it along side a cup of coffee or dunked in his cafe latte in the morning.
Personally I think it is wasted “dunked” but he says it is amazing.There are so many things that remind us of Fall and I have to say chocolate is one of those things for me.
Maybe because when I first moved to Italy and it was the start of summer all of a sudden there was no chocolate to be seen, anywhere, (except of course chocolate gelato).
Not in the grocery stores, not in the coffee shops not in friends’ houses, nope, nadda niente! Needless to say that was very devastating for me, I adore chocolate.
I would make a chocolate stash in the spring just to hold me out until the Fall.
So why you ask was there no chocolate in the summer? Well, because Italians believed that chocolate would make you even hotter, “calorosso”, (temperature wise hot!), not a good thing when temperatures would reach 40° celcius they would say.
How many things did I hear back then that would have me scratching my head or Laughing at Loud?
Dark Chocolate Pear Cake
This Dark Chocolate Pear Cake is one of those worth waiting for Fall cakes. Made with a delicious dark chocolate and lovely ripe pears make this a tasty moist cake, no need for any icing.
A little sprinkle of powdered sugar and you have the perfect dessert. I think the combination of Pears and Dark Chocolate were made for one another. Enjoy!
Dark Chocolate Pear Cake
- 5 1/4 ounces dark chocolate 150 grams
- 7 tablespoons butter 100 grams
- 1/2 cup sugar 120 grams
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt 125 grams
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder 8 grams
- 1 cup flour 120 grams
- 2 ripe pears peeled and chopped
- powdered sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 340° (170 celsius), grease and flour well an 8 inch cake pan (24 centimeters).
- In a small bowl over a pot of boiling water (make sure water does not touch bottom of bowl) melt chocolate (broken into pieces) and butter, when they have almost melted remove bowl from heat and stir until smooth. (let cool slightly).
- In a small bowl whisk together flour and baking powder.
- In a large bowl beat eggs and sugar until creamy, add cooled melted chocolate, yogurt and flour mixture, beat until smooth, add chopped pears and combine gently with a wooden spoon, spoon into prepared cake pan. Bake for approximately 35 minutes (test with a toothpick). Let cool, remove from pan, sprinkle with powdered sugar. Enjoy!