Fettuccine and Meat Sauce, the perfect weekend Pasta Dish, rich and comforting. A family favourite Italian Dinner Recipe.
Ahhh pasta! I don’t think I have eaten a dish I didn’t like! This fettuccine and Meat Sauce is one of my favourites and one that probably brings back the most memories.
This pasta dish was something my mother-in-law made for special occasions and sometimes if we were lucky she even made her own fettuccine.
My own mother made her own delicious meat sauce and Meatballs almost every Sunday. My father was not much of a pasta guy, but my mother, me and my sisters sure were.
This is the perfect Sunday dinner recipe or company-coming-for-dinner-what-should-I-make-dish. I lighten up my sauce by pre-boiling the ground beef for about five minutes and then adding it to the tomato puree with all those amazing spices.
So when the sauce is simmering on the stove it fills the house with so much aroma you really don’t think you can wait for dinner. But the wait will certainly be worth it.
I love this kind of sauce too because you can let it thicken to what ever consistency you desire. I prefer it on the thicker side but some people, my husband for example prefers it a little bit thinner. Sometimes he wins sometimes I do!
Fettuccine and Meat Sauce
Here in Italy pasta is usually served at noon and pasta is called ” primo piatto” (the first dish) and then it would be followed up with a “secondo piatto” and a “contorno” (a meat dish and a vegetable).
But if you made this fettuccine and meat sauce for dinner you could serve it with a nice salad tossed with olive oil and a little wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar and of course don’t forget the Italian crusty bread, with this dish you will certainly want to scoop up every drop of that delicious meaty sauce.
Of course don’t forget a nice glass of white wine if you wish. Buon appetito!
Fettuccine and Meat Sauce
- 3 cups tomato puree 680 grams
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef 250 grams
- 2 tablespoons olive oil 26 grams
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 grams
- 1 teaspoon oregano 3/4 gram
- 1 teaspoon basil 3/4 gram
- 3-4 leaves fresh basil chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups water 472 grams
- 1 small carrot chopped
- 1/2 onion chopppec
- 4 cups cooked fettuccine
- In a medium- sized pot add olive oil, garlic, chopped carrot, chopped onion and cook on medium for approximately 5 minutes add ground beef and brown, then add puree,salt,oregano,basil,fresh basil leaves,bay leaf and water. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for approximately 35-40 minutes or until desired thickness. Serve over cooked fettuccine and sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan cheese. Enjoy!