Homemade Biscuit Mix is probably one of the easiest things to make. But the best thing about it is it is so much better than the store-bought mix.
When my sisters and I were younger my Mom would make this mix in bulk and use some of it to make the most amazing Brown Sugar Pinwheels.
A few times I have found the store-bought mix in the store here in Italy but it costs a fortune. So instead I decided to make it myself. Fast, easy and perfect.
I usually keep a bag of Homemade Biscuit Mix handy in the freezer and use it when I need it. My eldest daughter loves biscuits and this mixture makes the Best Biscuits.
I decided to make a sort of baked ham and cheese sandwich with some of the mix. Depending on the size of the biscuit you could make them larger for Breakfast or lunch or even smaller as an appetizer. Either way they will be gone in no time.
If you plan on using the Homemade Biscuit Mixture quickly you can keep it in the fridge, I would try to use it within 10 days, some say longer but because of the butter I wouldn’t recommend it.
If you don’t plan on using it almost immediately then it’s best to freeze it. I use butter rather than shortening for a couple of reasons.
One because I prefer the taste of butter and two because shortening as we know it in North America is not available here in Italy where I am.
Before I added the milk to the mixture I added some shredded cheddar cheese and then I mixed it all together to form a soft dough, rolled it out, cut it with a round cookie cutter and then filled the middle with some homemade ham filling.
Baked it in the oven and I served them warm out of the oven. Absolutely delicious. Buon Appetito!
More Homemade Recipe
Homemade Biscuit Mix
HOMEMADE BISCUIT MIX
- 6 cups flour
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 cups diced ham
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tablespoon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups Homemade Biscuit Mix
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons milk
HOMEMADE BISCUIT MIX
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt until well combined, cut in butter and mix until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Store in a covered jar in the refrigerator. Will keep for up to 10 days or freeze for up to 4 months. To make dough use 2 cups of mixture and 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons milk, mix to form a smooth dough.
- In a food processor, add the chopped ham and pulse until ground, add onion, mayonnaise, mustard and Worcestershire sauce, pulse a few times to combine.
- In a medium bowl mix together biscuit mix and cheddar cheese, add milk and combine, move to a lightly floured flat surface and knead to form a soft dough.
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured flat surface, to a little thinner then 1/4 inch thickness, cut out with round cookie cutters, place on parchment paper lined cookie sheet, top with some ham mixture, cover with other cut out dough circle, brush with a little milk and bake in pre-heated 400° degree oven for approximately 20-25 minutes (check for doneness with a toothpick), serve warm. Enjoy!