If you asked me what is the ultimate comfort food I would answer, no questions asked, Lasagna. Lasagna anyway you can get it. Red Sauce, White Sauce and now these Lasagna Cups.
I was basically forced to make Lasagna Cups because my youngest daughter is lactose intolerant. Yes the Nutella queen is no longer a Nutella queen, don’t worry she has already found another chocolatey nut cream to take its place.
Another reason I decided to make these is because my daughter’s pool friend was coming for lunch and she is a girl after my own heart, a lasagna lover. Of course I wanted my daughter to enjoy a delicious dish of lasagna, so what better way than this way.
I used Lasagna noodles or also known as Oven Ready Strips, I cut them in half to fit the muffin tins, depending on the size they may need to be cut more than once especially if you are using medium size muffin tins.
I made a simple ground beef sauce, topped with shredded Mozzarella and freshly grated Parmesan cheese. I made four layers in the large muffin tin and three layers in the medium size tin. Of course in a few for my daughter I used lactose free cheese.
I called them Rustic Lasagna Cups, because I didn’t do any fancy cutting, I just fit them in the muffin tins, alternating them in each layer. Fast and easy.
The large muffin tins are perfect for single size servings. These are perfect for get togethers too. You could make a simple sauce and a meat sauce and add different toppings, everyone could have their own personal Lasagna. Buon Appetito!
Rustic Lasagna Cups
- TOMATO MEAT SAUCE
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil 26 grams
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef ( I pre-boil for 5 minutes to remove extra fat and drain) 250 grams
- 1 clove of garlic chopped
- 2 cups tomato puree (passata) 453 grams
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 2.7 grams
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- pinch hot pepper flakes, if desired
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded firm mozzarella cheese
- approximately 8-10 lasagna sheets depending on size
- sautéed chopped pepper or mushrooms if desired (sautée with a little olive oil parsley and oregano until tender)
- TOMATO MEAT SAUCE
- In a large pot add all the ingredients for the meat sauce (in order listed) cook on medium heat for approximately 30 minutes or until very thick, taste for salt.
- Pre-heat oven to 350° (180° celsius).
- Line muffin tins (I made 6 large and 6 medium) with a lasagna sheet cut in half for large or 1/3 for medium (of course depends on the size of the sheet), top with 1-1 1/2 tablespoons of sauce, (sautéed veggies if using), some shredded mozzarella and a heaping teaspoon of Parmesan, continue for 4 levels for the large or 3 for the medium (change direction of the strips on every level), the last level end with sauce,(veggies) and Parmesan. Bake for approximately 20 minutes. Let sit 2-3 minutes and serve. Enjoy!