Pasta alla Checca is the perfect Fresh Tomato Summer dish. A fast and easy Roman dish made with a few simple ingredients. Perfect anytime, a weekday or weekend dinner idea.
Pasta alla Checca
With tomatoes at their peak now, there is nothing like eating a raw tomato. And nothing like eating a raw tomato pasta dish. This is one of my favourites, when time is limited and I am looking for something fresh and delicious.
This pasta recipe is from the Roman Cuisine, and just like the famous Aglio, Olio & Peperoncino or Pasta Arrabiata it is made with just a few ingredients.
What are the ingredients in Pasta alla Checca?
- Olive Oil
- Fresh Basil Leaves
- Fresh Tomatoes
- Garlic, Salt and Pepper
Some Italians like to make this pasta dish with cherry or grape tomatoes, that are cut in half. They sometimes like to add chopped fresh mozzarella.
The traditional Pasta alla Checca is made with a long pasta such as spaghetti or linguini although a short pasta would be acceptable also.
How to make Pasta alla Checca
- Cut the tomatoes and remove the seeds, cut into small to medium size pieces, or if using cherry or grape tomatoes cut them in half.
- Place the chopped tomatoes in a large bowl and add the salt, fresh basil, pepper, garlic and oil.
- Toss the ingredients together, then cover the bowl with plastic and let it sit for about an hour. You want the flavours to mingle.
- Cook the pasta al dente, drain, then add it to the bowl and toss gently. Serve immediately topped with fresh basil. If fresh and tomatoes don’t scream summer then I don’t know what does.
How to store Pasta alla Checca
This pasta dish should be eaten immediately, but any leftovers should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge. It will keep up to two days.
More delicious Pasta Recipes
Fresh Tomatoes & Sausage Pasta
Bucatini & Parmesan Roasted Tomatoes
So if you have a desire for a something Pasta, but you want it simple and made with fresh ingredients, then I think you will love this Pasta alla Checca Recipe. Buon Appetito!
Pasta alla Checca
- 3 medium firm ripe tomatoes or 20-25 grape or cherry tomatoes*
- 2-3 pinches salt
- 1-2 dashes pepper
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- 3 cups cooked pasta (spaghetti)
*If using medium tomatoes then cut and seed them before chopping. Cherry or grape tomatoes just need to be sliced in half.
- In a large bowl add the chopped seeded tomatoes or grape tomatoes, salt, pepper, garlic, olive oil and fresh basil, toss gently to combine, then cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let sit for an hour.
- When approximately 35 minutes has passed then bring a large pot of water to boil, add some salt and the pasta, cook al dente. Drain the pasta and add to the bowl, and gently toss to combine. Serve immediately with some chopped fresh basil if desired. Enjoy!
This is so fresh and delicious! I love fresh basil & tomatoes and this recipe hits the mark. This one’s a keeper!
Hi Diana, thanks so much, so glad you enjoyed it.
Would you use Roma tomoates or would any do?
Hi Deborah, I usually use Roma but you could also use cherry or grape tomatoes if you prefer. I hope you enjoy it.
Just made this for my dinner and it was amazing! I added the mozzarella too! Will definitely make again! Thank you!
Hi Rose, thanks so much, so glad you enjoyed it.
Mary S says
Pasta alla Chef’s just made. It is full of flavor and easy to make. I added Barrela cheese. Will heat leftovers tomorrow for lunch. Your recipes remind me being a child waiting at my parents Italian Restaurant at the family table to see what the special of the day was.
Hi Mary, thanks so much, so glad when I can bring back memories. Have a great weekend.