Parmesan roasted asparagus is a quick and easy side dish that is bursting with flavor. This dish is perfect for any occasion, from weeknight dinners to holiday feasts. It’s a great way to add some nutrition and color to your plate, while also satisfying your taste buds.
I love quick, easy and delicious side dishes, and I sure learned how to make them in Italy! From a Simple Bean Toss to Sauteed Chicory Greens to the ever popular Italian Roasted Peppers.
To make parmesan roasted asparagus, you will need the following ingredients
- Asparagus – trimmed
- Olive oil
- Garlic – fresh garlic cloves minced
- Pepper – black pepper
- Parmesan cheese – freshly grated
How to Clean Asparagus stalks
- Under cool water rinse the asparagus spears in order to remove any dirt.
- Sometimes really thick asparagus will have a tough outer skin. It can be removed (if you want) with a vegetable peeler.
- Then snap off the bottom (an inch or so should be enough) by using your fingers, the stem will break naturally where the tough woody ends and the tender stem begins.
- Dry the spears by gently towel drying.
- Your spears are now ready for using in a recipe either leaving them whole or cut up.
How to make a baked Parmesan Asparagus recipe
In a small bowl mix together the olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
In a large mixing bowl, toss the asparagus with olive oil mixture.
Arrange the asparagus in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet or pan. Sprinkle the grated parmesan cheese over the top of the asparagus.
Roast the asparagus in the preheated oven until tender and lightly browned. You can broil a minute or two to brown a little more on top if desired.
Once done, remove the asparagus from the oven and allow it to cool for a few minutes before serving.
What is authentic Parmesan?
Parmigiano Reggiano cheese is authentic or DOP (Denominazione di Origine Protetta which means Protected Designation of Origin), and Parmesan cheese is just an imitation of Parmigiano Reggiano.
Reggiano is always made in Italy, while Parmesan can be made anywhere, there are no restrictions on using the name Parmesan. And don’t forget a less expensive but also a DOP choice is Parmigiano Grana Padano.
Why grate your own Parmesan Cheese?
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
A couple of reasons it’s better to grate your own. It’s cheaper and it tastes so much better. Packaged cheese tends to have a coating to keep the cheese from sticking together. Not a good thing.
You can grate your own cheese with either a Cheese Grater or by placing chunks in your Food Processor and just pulsing a few times until coarsely ground.
Freshly ground parmesan cheese can be kept in a plastic bag or airtight container and stored in the fridge for up to two weeks. You can also store it in the freezer for up to 18 months.
Is asparagus good for you?
Yes it is very good for you, it is rich in vitamin A, vitamin C and folic acid. It is also considered good for gut heath and can help lower blood pressure. You could make a tasty Asparagus Pesto or even an Italian Asparagus Frittata. So why not add some to your diet?
Fresh asparagus should be kept refrigerated until cooking time. To help raw asparagus last longer, wrap the bottom of the stalks in a damp paper towel, then refrigerate in an unsealed plastic bag.
Stored properly raw asparagus should keep for approximately 3-4 days in the fridge.
Asparagus that is going bad or is bad will usually become soft and discoloured. The tips of the vegetable will start to darken. Throw away any asparagus that has an off smell or appearance.
If you’ve bought pure garlic powder then it’s pretty easy to substitute it for fresh cloves. One clove of garlic equals about 1/8th of a teaspoon of pure garlic powder.
How to store the roasted asparagus
Any leftovers should be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated. It will keep for up to 2-3 days in the fridge. It can also be frozen when completely cooled in a freezer bag or container. It will keep for 2-3 months in the freezer.
Parmesan roasted asparagus can be served as a side dish with any meal, from roasted chicken to grilled fish or even shrimp. This recipe is also very versatile, and you can substitute with different seasonings and toppings, lemon juice, pine nuts or even different cheese.
If you are a lover of Asparagus as we are I hope you enjoy this Oven Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan Cheese. Buon Appetito!
Parmesan Roasted Asparagus
- 1 small bowl
- ½ pound fresh asparagus (500 grams)
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- 1-2 pinches salt
- 1-2 dashes black pepper
- 3-4 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese (divided) (50 grams)
- Pre-heat oven to 400F / 200C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Rinse and pat dry the asparagus. Place in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl combine the olive oil, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Toss the asparagus with the olive oil mixture.
- Place the asparagus on the baking sheet sprinkle with the grated parmesan cheese. Bake for approximately 8-10 minutes then broil a minute or two to brown on top. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Updated from April 18, 2019.
That looks delicious!