Pizza Topped Hamburger Pie, is a delicious classic dish made even better! A tasty ground beef and veggie filling topped with cheesy pizza pinwheels. The perfect family dinner that kids and adults alike will enjoy.
This skillet recipe has become one of our favourite easy dinner meals, it’s full of delicious veggies, that even kids will eat. Give it a dash or two of hot pepper lakes if you are looking for a little kick. It is the perfect comfort food.
- Ground beef
- Olive Oil
- Tomato Puree
- Broth (store bought or homemade)
- Hot Pepper Flakes (optional)
- 1 Pizza Dough Roll
- Mozzarella Cheese (firm mozzarella not fresh)
- You could also substitute the vegetables with mushrooms, peppers, zucchini, squash, green beans or your favourites.
How to make homemade broth
For this recipe, I like to use a vegetable broth although a beef broth works well, too. Of course, if you prefer you can use store-bought.
If you want to make your own it’s really not hard, it just adds a few more steps and time to the recipe. You can make the broth ahead of time so you have it on hand when you want to make this recipe or any recipe that requires broth.
In a large pot add a carrot and an onion peeled and cut in half, a celery stalk cut in two, a bay leaf, 2-3 pepper corns, 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of salt and 12 cups of water. Bring it to a boil then lower the heat and simmer for about three hours. Stir occasionally and remove any foam that appears on the top of the broth. Pour the broth through a sieve, and let the liquid cool before using.
Any unused broth can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for 4-5 days. It can also be frozen in freezer-safe containers and will keep for up to 6 months.
In a cast iron pan or oven safe skillet add the olive oil, ground beef, garlic and onion, mix to combine, brown over medium heat, then add the chopped veggies, broth, puree and spices.
Heat to boiling, then cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender and the liquid has evaporated, just leave a very small amount of liquid. You don’t want it to dry out.
Top with the sliced prepared pizza pinwheels, brush them with a little olive oil and bake until golden.
How to make the Pizza pinwheels
Roll out pizza crust, top with shredded mozzarella cheese and roll up from the short end, if you think the dough is too short then up from the long end. Thinly slice approximately 17 or 18 slices, enough to top the filling.
Delicious Casseroles you may enjoy!
- Easy Creamy Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Creamy Broccoli Potato Casserole
- Baked Gnocchi Double Cheese Tomato Sauce
- Creamy Broccoli Bacon Casserole
The Italian isn’t big on doughy toppings so I thought I could spruce up the ground beef with veggies, some tomato puree and remembering my Pizza Pinwheels I thought that would make an amazing topping. If you really like cheese, then just add some shredded firm mozzarella before you top the mixture with the pinwheels.
How to store it
Any leftovers should be stored in the fridge in an airtight container, it will last 3-5 days in the fridge. It can be warmed either in the oven or microwave before serving.
If you are like us and looking for some comfort food right about now, then I hope you give this Pizza Topped Hamburger Pie a try and let me know what you think. Buon Appetito!
Easy Pizza Topped Hamburger Pie
GROUND BEEF FILLING
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 onion chopped
- 1-2 carrots chopped
- 2 large potatoes chopped
- 1 cup peas
- 1/2 cup tomato puree (pasata)
- 3/4 cup broth (either homemade or store bought)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon salt*
- 1-2 dashes hot pepper flakes if desired
*If the broth is salty don't add any salt until the mixture is cooked, then taste for salt. Add if necessary.
PIZZA PINWHEEL TOPPING
- 1 pre-made pizza dough roll
- 1 1/2 cups shredded firm mozzarella
GROUND BEEF FILLING
- In a 10 inch cast iron pan (or oven safe pan or you could make it and then pour it into a baking or casserole dish), add the olive oil, ground beef, garlic and onion, mix to combine, brown over medium heat, add the carrots, potatoes, peas, broth, puree and spices. Stir to combine.
- Heat to boiling, stir, then cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender and the liquid has evaporated, approximately 30-45 minutes ** (leave just a very small amount of liquid, the mixture should not be dry but almost creamy).
- Pre-heat oven to 425F (220C).
- Top with pizza pinwheels, brush them with a little olive oil and bake for approximately 15 minutes or until top is golden brown. Enjoy!
PIZZA PINWHEEL TOPPING
- Roll out pizza crust, top with shredded mozzarella cheese and roll up from the short end, if you think the dough is too short then up from the long end. Thinly slice approximately 17 or 18 slices.
- ** If needed remove cover and raise the heat if the veggies are tender but there is still too much liquid.
Updated from October 5, 2017.