Easy pizza pinwheels are a bite-sized, savory rounds of pizza goodness that are perfect for snacking, appetizers, or even lunchbox surprises. Made with fresh rosemary and parmesan cheese they will be gone in minutes!
Pizza is considered one of the most popular foods in the world, from Pizza Bianca to Pizza Margherita to even Potato Pizza, but if you are looking for the perfect appetizer or snack pizza then these Pizza pinwheels are they way to go.
- Pizza dough – one roll either store-bought pizza dough or homemade pizza dough
- Olive oil – extra virgin olive oil
- Salt – coarse salt
- Rosemary – fresh rosemary
- Parmesan Cheese – freshly grated parmesan cheese
Why Grate Your Own Parmesan Cheese?
A couple of reasons it’s better to grate your own. It’s cheaper and it tastes so much better. Packaged cheese tends to have a coating to keep the cheese from sticking together. Not a good thing.
You can grate your own cheese with either a cheese grater or by placing chunks in your food processor and just pulsing a few times until coarsely ground.
Freshly ground parmesan cheese can be kept in a plastic bag or airtight container and stored in the fridge for up to two weeks. You can also store it in the freezer for up to 18 months.
How To Make A Pizza Pinwheels Recipe
Roll out the pizza dough, then brush it with olive oil, sprinkle with coarse salt, sprinkle the chopped rosemary on top rosemary and some of parmesan cheese.
Roll up pizza dough from the short end, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for a bit just to firm it up.
Remove the dough from the fridge and cut into slices.
Place the slices on the prepared baking sheet, sprinkle with the remaining parmesan cheese and bake until golden brown.
- Grate your own parmesan, tastes better and it’s cheaper.
- Whichever dough you choose, be sure to roll it out evenly into a rectangle or square to create a uniform base for your toppings.
- Be sure to chill the rolled dough this will firm it up to make it easier to cut.
- Be sure to use a sharp knife or even dental floss to make even slices.
- If you don’t have fresh rosemary then dry rosemary leaves are fine to use.
Variations To Make Pizza Pinwheels
- Toppings: pizza sauce or a simple marinara sauce over the dough, sprinkle a generous amount of shredded mozzarella cheese over the sauce, and then roll up.
- Fillings: Instead of rosemary and parmesan you could substitute with slices of pepperoni, sautéed mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, or black olives, the choice is yours.
- Pesto: You could also use your favorite pesto as a filling from the classic basil to red pepper to a delicious creamy fresh tomato pesto.
- Instead of: pizza dough substitute with crescent roll dough or even puff pastry or a savory homemade dough.
Can They Be Made In Advance?
Yes they can, after you have place the cut pieces on the baking sheet, cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to one day. Remove from the fridge and proceed with baking the pizza pinwheels.
How To Serve Pizza Pinwheels
Pizza pinwheels are best enjoyed fresh out of the oven. Serve them with a side of warm pizza sauce for dipping if you like, they can be served as an appetizer or snack or even an accompaniment to soup or even stew!
How To Store The Pizza Rollups
Be sure to keep any leftover rollups in an airtight container or wrapped well in plastic wrap. They will keep in the fridge for up to three days. Reheat them in the microwave or oven.
How To Freeze Them
The completely cooled baked rollups can also be frozen in a freezer safe container or bag, they will keep for up to 2 months.
More Delicious Appetizer Ideas
- Mushroom Puff Pastry Appetizers
- Ham and Cheese Pizza Roll Ups
- Easy Double Cheese Mozzarella Balls
- Baked Ricotta
Pizza pinwheels are a delightful twist on a classic favorite, offering a delicious and portable way to enjoy all the flavors of pizza. Whether you’re serving them as an appetizer, snack, or lunch, these bite-sized delights are sure to be a big hit! Buon Appetito!
Easy Pizza Pinwheels.
- 1 roll pizza dough (rectangle)
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ tablespoon coarse salt more if desired
- 1½ tablespoons fresh rosemary chopped more if desired
- 7 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan Cheese (divided)
- Pre-heat oven to 425F (250C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out the pizza dough, brush with the olive oil, sprinkle with the coarse salt, rosemary and 6 tablespoons of parmesan cheese.
- Roll up pizza dough from the short end tightly, then wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30-45 minutes or until firm.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and cut into slices approximately ½ inch (1½ cm) thick (or thicker if desired), place on the prepared baking sheet, sprinkle with remaining tablespoon of parmesan cheese (add more if desired). Bake for approximately 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy!
Updated from October 3, 2016.