Homemade 3 Bean Vegetarian Chili, made with Black Beans, Borlotti Beans and white beans, add some carrots, celery and a few spices and you won’t even miss the meat. The perfect meatless meal.
Vegetarian Chili Recipe
Italians are big bean eaters, but to tell the truth my husband always likes some sort of meat in his stew or soup. Whether it’s pancetta or sausage or cubed beef it doesn’t matter.
So when I decided to make a Vegetarian Chili, which I have to say my youngest daughter was thrilled about. Sometimes she’s a vegetarian sometimes she isn’t!
More Bean Recipes you may Enjoy!
But no worries, this Chili Recipe went over really well. I made it nice and spicy just how we like it and I served it with some crusty Italian bread.
A tossed green salad and the Italian survived without any meat! In fact he loved it.
How to make the Best Homemade Vegetarian Chili
- Use dried beans
- soak beans for at least 8 hours or better over night
- Cook slowly on low heat, with chopped carrots, celery and spices
When you are looking for a meatless Comfort Food Dish, try this. Buon Appetito!
Homemade 3 Bean Vegetarian Chili
- ½ cup dried borlotti beans (kidney or pinto beans can be substituted)
- ½ cup dried black beans
- ½ cup dried Italian white beans (cannellini beans)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 large carrot (chopped)
- 1-2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 medium bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 medium celery stalk (chopped)
- 1 can Pelati Tomatoes (14½ ounces) cut into pieces
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon basil
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- ¼-½ teaspoon salt
- 1-2 dashes hot pepper flakes (optional) or black pepper
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- In a large bowl of water add the beans and soak over night (8 hours). Then drain and rinse.
- In a large pot on low/medium heat, add the oil, chopped onion, carrot and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Then add the chopped peppers and celery, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients including the beans and simmer on low / medium heat for approximately one hour or until beans are cooked and tender. Taste for salt.
- Serve immediately with shredded cheese on top if desired. Enjoy.