Homemade 3 Bean Vegetarian Chili, made with Black Beans, Borlotti Beans and white beans, add some carrots, celery and a few spices and you won’t even miss the meat. The perfect meatless meal.
Vegetarian Chili Recipe
Italians are big bean eaters, but to tell the truth my husband always likes some sort of meat in his stew or soup. Whether it’s pancetta or sausage or cubed beef it doesn’t matter.
So when I decided to make a Vegetarian Chili, which I have to say my youngest daughter was thrilled about. Sometimes she’s a vegetarian sometimes she isn’t!
More Bean Recipes you may Enjoy!
But no worries, this Chili Recipe went over really well. I made it nice and spicy just how we like it and I served it with some crusty Italian bread.
A tossed green salad and the Italian survived without any meat! In fact he loved it.
How to make the Best Homemade Vegetarian Chili
- Use dried beans
- soak beans for at least 8 hours or better over night
- Cook slowly on low heat, with chopped carrots, celery and spices
When you are looking for a meatless Comfort Food Dish, try this. Buon Appetito!
Homemade 3 Bean Vegetarian Chili
- 1/2 cup dry borlotti beans
- 1/2 cup dry black beans
- 1/2 cup Italian white beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 carrot (chopped)
- 1-2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 celery stalk (chopped)
- 1 can Pelati Tomatoes (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- hot pepper flakes (to taste)
- 2 cans water (or vegetable broth)
- The night before, in a large bowl of water add the beans and soak over night (at 8 hours). Then drain and rinse.
- In a large pot on low/medium heat, add the oil, chopped onion, carrot and garlic, for 2 minutes. Then add the chopped peppers and celery and cook 2 minutes.
- Then add the remaining ingredients including the beans and simmer on low / medium heat for approximately one hour or until beans are cooked and tender. Taste for salt.
- Serve immediately with shredded cheese on top if desired. Enjoy.
Stacie Vaughan says
Looks delicious! This is a great recipe to get my daughter to eat her veggies. She is so picky!
Hi Stacie, thanks, I hope your daughter enjoys it.
Chili is one of my favorite meatless dishes. This one looks perfect!
Hi Melissa, thanks so much! 🙂
This looks so good! We eat meatless meals at least 3 nights a week, so this would be perfect for my family!
Hi Alicia, thanks so much I hope you enjoy it.
Looks so good! Thanks for sharing the recipe 🙂
Hi Karen, thanks so much. Have a great Sunday.
Wow, I’m all about the beans and this vegetarian chili has me so ready for dinner! It helps that it’s cold here, so chili just sounds like a winner!
Thanks Marly, yes sometimes a veggie chili is exactly what you need. Have a great Sunday.
This looks so tasty I bet my boys wouldn’t complain too much that there’s no meat, especially if I served it with crusty bread like you did! 🙂
Thanks Kara, I think your boys would like it too! Have a great weekend.