Homemade 3 Bean Vegetarian Chili, made with Black Beans, Borlotti Beans and white beans, add some carrots, celery and a few spices and you won’t even miss the meat. The perfect meatless meal.
Vegetarian Chili Recipe
Italians are big bean eaters, but to tell the truth my husband always likes some sort of meat in his stew or soup. Whether it’s pancetta or sausage or cubed beef it doesn’t matter.
So when I decided to make a Vegetarian Chili, which I have to say my youngest daughter was thrilled about. Sometimes she’s a vegetarian sometimes she isn’t!
More Bean Recipes you may Enjoy!
But no worries, this Chili Recipe went over really well. I made it nice and spicy just how we like it and I served it with some crusty Italian bread.
A tossed green salad and the Italian survived without any meat! In fact he loved it.
How to make the Best Homemade Vegetarian Chili
- Use dried beans
- soak beans for at least 8 hours or better over night
- Cook slowly on low heat, with chopped carrots, celery and spices
When you are looking for a meatless Comfort Food Dish, try this. Buon Appetito!
Homemade 3 Bean Vegetarian Chili
- 1/2 cup dry borlotti beans
- 1/2 cup dry black beans
- 1/2 cup Italian white beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 carrot (chopped)
- 1-2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 celery stalk (chopped)
- 1 can Pelati Tomatoes (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- hot pepper flakes (to taste)
- 2 cans water (or vegetable broth)
- The night before, in a large bowl of water add the beans and soak over night (at 8 hours). Then drain and rinse.
- In a large pot on low/medium heat, add the oil, chopped onion, carrot and garlic, for 2 minutes. Then add the chopped peppers and celery and cook 2 minutes.
- Then add the remaining ingredients including the beans and simmer on low / medium heat for approximately one hour or until beans are cooked and tender. Taste for salt.
- Serve immediately with shredded cheese on top if desired. Enjoy.
February is National Chili Month. I have teamed up with fellow bloggers to share recipes with you once a month for various food holidays. So I hope you will check out their recipes too.
Ashlee Marie – Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
Simply Stacie – Taco Chili
An Italian in my Kitchen – here
Creations by Kara – Easy Chicken Enchilada Chili
Real Mom Kitchen – Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
Pretty Providence – Slow Cooker Chili
Crumb – Creamy White Chicken Chili
Savory Experiments – Instant Pot Chili
Namely Marly – Sweet Potato Chili
The Baker Upstairs – Pork Verde Chili
365 Days of Slow Cooking – Instant Pot Ground Turkey Lentil Chili
My Mommy Style – Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
Supergolden Bakes – Instant Pot Lentil and Bean Chili
Premeditated Leftovers – Jalapeno Popper Turkey Chili
Heather Likes Food – Award Winning Crock Pot Chili
More Chili Recipes
Poblano Chicken Chili – Girl Gone Gourmet
Black Bean Chili – Girl Gone Gourment
One Pot Chili Mac and Cheese – Belly Full
Thick and Hearty Homestyle Chili – Don’t Sweat the Recipe
Old Fashioned Chili Recipe – Spaceships and Laserbeams
Cincinnati Chili – Turnadough Alli