The perfect way to start the day is with these Easy Carrot Cake Muffins. You can always fancy them up for the perfect dessert with a delicious Creamy Cream Cheese Frosting, or plain for an afternoon snack.
I remember telling me I must try this Carrot Muffin recipe and thought “I have never met a Muffin I didn’t like”, this is a definite must try. So if you love Carrot Cake then you are going to love these Easy Carrot Cake Muffins.
- Brown Sugar
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Icing Sugar
How to make it
Pre-heat oven to 400°F (200° C). Grease and flour a 12 medium size muffin tin. In a medium bowl whisk together the vegetable oil, beaten eggs, carrots and milk.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
Add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients, stir with a spatula or wooden spoon just until combined (15 or 16 stirs no more).
Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin and bake for approximately 20 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting.
How to make the Cream Cheese Frosting
In a medium bowl beat butter and cream cheese until creamy approximately one minute. Add icing sugar a little at a time, continue beating, add salt and cream beat approximately 3 minutes until fluffy.
Frost the cooled muffins if desired.
What to add to the carrot muffins?
This recipe doesn’t call for nuts, and to tell the truth I kind of like it without. You can add them if you want, chopped walnuts or pecans would be perfect. Or what about some raisins?
If you use raisins then be sure to soak them in boiling water for about 3-5 minutes to plump them up. And nuts are always better when roasted.
Roast in a cookie pan for about 5-7 minutes, be sure to let them cool in a separate bowl so they don’t continue to bake.
If you like a lighter touch of nuts, then how about sprinkling some ground up pecans on the yummy Cream Cheese Frosting?
How to Store Carrot Cake Muffins
Be sure to store them either in an airtight container or bag. They will last up to 3 days at room temperature or 7 days in the fridge. Of course if you have frosted them they definitely need to be refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before serving if refrigerated.
Can they be frozen?
It’s best to freeze just the muffins without the cream cheese frosting. Make sure they have cooled completely, place them either in a freezer safe container or bag. They will keep for up to 3 months in the freezer.
How to bake it in a loaf pan
If you prefer you could make a loaf instead of muffins or even a small cake. Make sure to use an 8 inch loaf or cake pan.
Be sure to lower the temperature to 350F (180C). And bake for at least 35-40 minutes, of course you should check with a tooth pick for doneness.
These are so good fresh baked from the oven, but if you want that taste again, just warm them up for about 30 seconds in the microwave before eating one.
Tips for making the Perfect Muffins
- Some people think they are difficult to make because if you stir too much they become rubbery, so just remember stir 15 or 16 times and you can’t go wrong. Force yourself to stop stirring!
- Use either paper liners in your muffin pan or grease and flour the pan.
- Fill the muffin tin 3/4 full.
- Do not over bake.
I love muffins for Breakfast too. You could leave the frosting off a few of these Carrot Cake Muffins to serve for Breakfast and frost some for an easy delicious dessert. I hope you enjoy them as much as we did! Enjoy.
More Delicious Muffin Recipes
- Lemon Muffins with a Crumb Topping
- Big Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Easy Pumpkin Muffins with a Cinnamon Glaze
- Orange Streusel Muffins
Easy Carrot Cake Muffins with a Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1 cup shredded carrots (2 medium carrots)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup + 1/2 tablespoon cream cheese (whole fat) (63 grams – total)
- 2 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons cream (whole/heavy or whipping cream)
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F (200° C). Grease and flour a 12 medium size muffin tin or an 8 or 9 inch loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the vegetable oil, beaten eggs, carrots and milk.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients, stir with a spatula or wooden spoon just until combined (15 or 16 stirs no more). Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin and bake for approximately 20 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting. Bake for approximately 20 minutes. Enjoy!
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- In a medium bowl beat butter and cream cheese until creamy approximately one minute. Add icing sugar a little at a time, continue beating, add salt and cream beat approximately 3 minutes until fluffy.
*If you make a loaf instead then be sure to lower the temperature to 350F (180C) and let it bake for at least 30-35 minutes before testing, it may need longer.
Updated from January 13, 2017.