A delicious summer dessert Chocolate Zucchini Cake, the perfect way to use up some of those extra zucchini. Simple and easy and no need for a frosting. Serve it as a snack, dessert or even breakfast cake.
With the arrival of August there is that one vegetable that never knows when to stop! Yes, zucchini. There are so many delicious ways to eat it and lucky for us one of them is Cake. I have used it in Donuts and Breads, but this is my first cake, so I thought why not go all out and make it chocolate!
How to make it
In a bowl whisk together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl beat together the sugar and eggs until light, then beat in the melted butter and then the grated zucchini and the dry ingredients and combine.
Pour into the prepared cake pan, sprinkle with some chocolate chips and bake. Let cool before serving.
I added nuts, I used walnuts, but you could substitute with hazelnuts or even pecans if you like. I also sprinkled milk chocolate chips on top but again, if you prefer semi sweet chocolate that would work too. If you are a cinnamon lover then it would be the perfect addition.
If you love frosting then a simple Cream Cheese Frosting would be the best for this cake. I would probably leave out the chocolate chips on top though.
How to make Cake flour
I like to use cake or pastry flour in cake recipes because it makes them softer. You can easily make your own cake / pastry flour, for every cup of all purpose flour remove 2 tablespoons and substitute with corn starch, sift the two together and there you have homemade cake or pastry flour.
Do you have to peel Zucchini?
Because zucchini is picked before it fully matures on the vine the skin is still tender, therefore there is no need to peel it, the flowers and seeds are all edible also.
What is the best size to use?
For this recipe any size zucchini will work, I actually used medium size, but if you use large then you may want to eliminate some of the pulp if it contains seeds. When shredding the zucchini you really don’t have to squeeze out the excess moisture (although any liquid in the bowl of the shredded zucchini should be tossed).
Is Zucchini good for you?
Yes it is, it is packed with vitamins C and A, potassium, folate, and fibre. All beneficiary to a healthy heart, which helps to decrease the risk of stroke and also reduces high blood pressure and can reduce cholesterol.
How to store it
The cake should be stored in an airtight container or wrapped tightly in plastic. If will keep at room temperature for about 3 days, any longer and it should be stored in the fridge. It will last in the fridge for about 7-8 days. It can also be frozen, be sure to wrap it tightly with plastic and place in a freezer safe bag or container. It will last up to 2-3 months.
More Related Recipes
Italian Sausage & Cheese Stuffed Zucchini
Creamy Italian Zucchini Risotto
So if you are looking for a sweet way to use up some zucchini I hope you give this Chocolate Zucchini Cake a try and let me know what you think. Enjoy!
Chocolate Zucchini Cake Recipe
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour (270 grams)
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon cocoa powder (unsweetened) (30 grams)
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3-2/3 cup nuts finely chopped (walnuts, pecans or hazelnuts)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200 grams)
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)*
- 1 egg yolk (room temperature)*
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon butter (melted and cooled) (200 grams)
- 2 1/3 cups shredded zucchini (about 2 medium) (350 grams)
- 1/4-1/3 cup chocolate chips (small or regular, semi sweet or milk)
*Remove from fridge 45 minutes before using.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C). Grease and flour a 9 inch cake pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and nuts. Set aside.
- In the mixing bowl beat together the sugar, eggs & yolk until light, about 3 minutes on medium/low speed, then beat in the melted cooled butter and then the grated zucchini add the dry ingredients and combine until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Pour into the prepared cake pan, sprinkle with some chocolate chips if desired and bake for about 50-60 minutes test for doneness with a tooth pick (it may take more or less time depending on your oven). Let cool before serving. Enjoy!
This is a fantastic cake, tastes so chocolatey yet there’s hardly
Any in it. Really moist . I used chopped hazelnuts
And it tasted superb. I’m going to keep making it,
can’t believe it’s courgette (sorry I mean zucchini 😀)
Hi Ray, Thanks glad you liked it. My father-in-law was so surprised by zucchini in a cake, he loved it too. Take care.
Hi, can you replace butter by vegetable oïl in this recipe? Thank you
Hi Francesca, yes you can but you should use less oil, so the amount will be 150 grams or 1/2 cup + 2 1/2 tablespoons of oil. Let me know how it goes.