Scalloped Potatoes never tasted so good. These easy baked potatoes with two different types of cheese and a simple white sauce make these Creamy Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes the perfect side dish to any meal.
When you think of comfort food what comes to mind? Soups, stews, casseroles? How about scalloped Potatoes? How about Creamy Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes?
Since we are almost into potato planting season (yes my mother-in-law plants those too)! I thought I would use up some of last years crop in this Creamy Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes.
Scalloped potatoes in my house are something we all love, my kids renamed them Canadian Potatoes. So I thought I would make good scalloped potatoes even better.
All you need to do is add a creamy cheese. I decided to use a really nice soft creamy Italian cheese called Fontina. If you don’t have this cheese in your area a nice Gruyère or Gouda will do the trick.
Top with a little freshly grated Parmesan cheese and your Canadian Potatoes become Canadian/Italian Potatoes.
More Baked Potato Recipes you may enjoy!
Baked Double Cheese Mashed Potatoes
Easy Baked Parmesan Potato Rounds
This is a delicious potato dish perfect for a family gathering or company coming for dinner. Buon Appetito!
Creamy Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 cup grated Fontina cheese 80 grams
- 3 1/2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese 25 grams
- FOR THE WHITE SAUCE
- 3 tablespoons butter 40 grams
- 3 tablespoons flour 25 grams
- 1 1/2 cups milk 370 grams
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 grams
- dash of pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 350° (180° celsius). Lightly butter an 8x6 inch (21x16 centimeter) baking dish.
- Peel and thinly slice the potatoes.
- Grate the Fontina (if you can't find Fontina, Gruyere or Gouda can be substituted).
- In a medium pot melt butter, whisk in flour, whisk until smooth, add milk and continue whisking add salt and pepper and continue whisking until thickened (just until bubbles start to appear) remove from heat. (If too thick add a little milk).
- In lightly buttered baking dish add a layer of potatoes (1/3 of the potatoes), sprinkle with half the grated cheese and 1/3 of the white sauce, another layer of potatoes, last half grated cheese, 1/3 white sauce, last layer of potatoes, white sauce and sprinkle with the freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Bake covered for 45 minutes, uncover and continue cooking for approximately 30 minutes. Let sit 5-10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Is there ANYTHING better than that browned crusty top? I don’t think so! I’m sure that is what heaven is made out of! These look terrific Rosemary! I usually make mine with a mix of cream and whole milk – so, I’m glad to see yours made with milk and they look every bit as good as the ones that I make – and less fat – all good. 🙂 Beautiful photos too!
Hi Wendi, thanks so much, yes sometimes less fat is better ;). Have a great week.
I haven’t tried a dish like this on my kids…looks so cheesy and yummy!
Hi Veronica, my kids go crazy for scalloped potatoes.
Marisa Franca @ All Our Way says
Mamma always made the scalloped potatoes for our gatherings and my kids loved them. Once she got older the job fell into my lap — I usually make them with Gruyere but I think for our next gathering that calls for scalloped potatoes I’ll use fontina. Grazie per la ricetta.
Hi Marisa, these are one thing my Mom never made and I always loved. Thanks.
Diane P says
This looks yummy! Funny, I was just looking through my recipes for a scalloped potato recipe. This one is perfect!
Hi Diane, thanks hope you enjoy it.