Italian Fresh Herb Baked Fish and Chips is a healthier and equally delicious alternative to the traditonal deep-fried version. It makes a perfect family quick and easy dinner idea!
Fish in Italy is very popular it can be served at lunch and of course at dinner. From a delicious Italian Seafood Salad appetizer, to maybe a Seafood Linguine or one of our favourite Pasta dishes Smoked Salmon Cream Sauce, to a couple of main dishes consisting of Baked Trout or Sautéed Shrimp.
Since I arrived in Italy I have become more of a fish lover, probably because the Italian and all our friends are big on fish. One of my favorite dishes is fish and chips but this time I decided to lighten it up!
- Olive oil
What is the best Fish to use?
I like to use Perch, Halibut, Cod or Trout, I find these the most tasteful.
How to make Baked Fish and Chips
In a medium bowl soak the potatoes in cold water for approximately 20 minutes, then rinse, drain well and towel dry. Place the potatoes a medium bowl and toss with the olive oil and spices.
Place the fish filets on a non stick baking sheet, sprinkle with salt, oregano, parsley and rosemary. Place the potatoes on the baking sheet with the fish, sprinkle with a little extra salt, oregano and olive oil if needed. Bake until completely cooked. Serve Immediately.
I made this Baked Fish Dish with one of my favourite fish, Perch. You could always substitute it with a halibut, trout or even cod. Be sure your fish filet is a thicker slice and your potatoes are thinner slices.
When is fish cooked?
It is best to cook the fish to an internal temperature of 140-145 degrees. Undercooked fish does not flake and is translucent. If your fish is undercooked, continue cooking until it’s done. Check often because fish cooks fast.
Sauces to serve with it
Being in Italy we usually just like a drizzle of olive oil but you could serve it with tartar sauce, a simple herb yogurt sauce, plain mayonaise or choose your favorite sauce for dipping the fish.
How to store leftover baked fish
This recipe is best enjoyed the day it is made, but you can store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to one day.
To reheat the fish place it and the potatoes on a baking sheet and heat in a pre-heated 350F/180C oven for approximately 10 minutes or warmed through.
This Italian Baked Fish and Chips prove that Fish and Chips don’t have to be breaded and fried to be delicious! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Buon Appetito!
Italian Fresh Herb Baked Fish and Chips
- 4 thick slices Perch, Halibut or Cod
- 5 medium Potatoes (thinly sliced)
- ½-1 teaspoon oregano or to taste (divided)
- ¼-½ teaspoon salt or to taste (divided)
- 2-4 tablespoons Italian parsley (finely chopped) (divided)
- 2-3 sprigs rosemary (chopped) (divided)
- ¼ cup olive oil (more or less) divided
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly brush a baking sheet with one tablespoon of olive oil.
- In a medium bowl soak the potatoes in cold water for approximately 15-20 minutes, then rinse, drain well and towel dry.
- Place the potatoes a medium bowl and toss with approximately 2 tablespoons olive oil and half the oregano, salt, parsley, rosemary and all the garlic.
- Place the fish filets on the prepared baking sheet, sprinkle with salt, the remaining oregano, parsley and rosemary. Place the potatoes on the baking sheet with the fish, sprinkle with a little extra salt, oregano and olive oil if needed.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes. (I raised the temperature to 425°F (225°C) for the last 5 minutes to brown a little more the potatoes. Serve Immediately. Enjoy!