This smoked salmon spread is so full of flavor. It’s the perfect appetizer for any event and with only 4 ingredients, it’s so easy and fast to make! It’s perfect for this time of year, serve it with your favorite crackers or even a tasty crusty bread.
This was my Mom’s go to recipe whenever anyone wanted or asked for a spread or a dip. It’s probably one of my favorite appetizers. It’s great used as a Smoked Salmon Dip too!
I always make this for our Fish Dinner on Christmas Eve and usually during the year whenever we have friends over for dinner. Trust me, it is on the table and gone within minutes.
- Salmon – canned not fresh or smoked
- Cream cheese – you can use whole or even light cream cheese room temperature
- Liquid smoke
- Green onion – 3 tablespoons finely chopped
What is liquid smoke?
It is a liquid flavoring that is produced by burning wood chips, the smoke is captured, and then condensed into a liquid substance. It is used to provide some food with a smoky taste and flavor.
Because it goes through a filtering process it is not considered harmful, it is actually considered better for you than food that is smoked over a live fire.
How to make Salmon Spread
Drain and clean salmon, (reserve 2 teaspoons of salmon liquid), flake the salmon.
In a medium bowl combine cream cheese, liquid smoke flavouring and salmon liquid, blend thoroughly.
Stir in green onion then fold in salmon.
Easy Smoked Salmon Spread is so quick to make that I can make it in 5 minutes. Make it in the morning and let it refrigerate for a few hours or overnight to let the flavours blend.
What could be better than a 4 ingredient dip? Especially when it is this good.
What goes well with smoked salmon spread?
Smoked salmon dip is great served with crackers, bagel chips, baguette slices, or raw vegetables.
Can this be made ahead of time?
Yes, just prepare the spread the day before and keep it in the refrigerator in an airtight container until ready to serve.
If you want to make the spread spicy, you could add a small amount of Tabasco or your favorite hot sauce (about ¼ teaspoon).
What crackers go well with smoked salmon spread?
Multigrain, sea salt and black pepper, rosemary crackers or even crostini. You could even make it gluten free and serve it with gluten free bread or crackers.
You can often find variety packs of “entertainment crackers” in the grocery store that would go well with this salmon spread.
What kind of smoke flavoring is used in this recipe?
All natural liquid smoke is used in this recipe. Hickory flavor is a good one to use.
Flavor variations to try: add capers, lemon juice, celery salt or fresh dill for additional flavor.
How to store it
The spread should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will keep for up to 5-7 days in the fridge.
So if you are like me and love appetizers, then this Smoked Salmon Spread is perfect. I hope it becomes your favorite Spread/Dip too! Buon Appettito.
More Easy Appetizer Recipes
- Ricotta Spinach Tarts
- Mushroom Puff Pastry Appetizers
- Easy Double Cheese Mozzarella Balls
- Easy Italian Tomato Bruschetta
Easy Smoked Salmon Spread
- 7 1/2 ounces canned salmon
- 8 ounces cream cheese (whole or light cream cheese) room temperature
- 3 drops liquid smoke flavouring (make sure you buy chemical free liquid smoke)
- 3 soup spoons sliced green onions red or white onions work too
- Place the drained salmon (reserving 2 teaspoons of salmon liquid), flake the salmon with a fork.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine cream cheese, liquid smoke flavouring and salmon liquid, blend thoroughly.
- Stir in green onion then fold in the salmon. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight. Enjoy!
Updated from December 26, 2014.