These Homemade Strawberry Cupcakes are a delicious recipe. The soft cupcakes are made with yogurt and topped with a fresh strawberry and whipped cream frosting. Perfect for any strawberry fan!
For me it’s always chocolate, my eldest daughter loves yogurt cake, the Italian loves anything he can “dunk”, and my youngest loves strawberry everything.
So, today it’s all about my daughters with this new recipe: easy strawberry cupcakes! They’re made with strawberry yogurt and topped with a light and creamy strawberry frosting. The strawberry flavor is fresh and light – a perfect cupcake treat.
The Italian is happy with these, too, because he can always figure out a way to dunk a cupcake in his coffee but, for me? Well, I guess I’ll have to get my chocolate fix later. Although these strawberry cupcakes are delicious, so I’m happy, too.
Easy Strawberry Cupcakes
For these cupcakes, I used my favorite yogurt cake as the base. It’s such an easy recipe and you can easily change the flavor by using different flavored yogurt. For these, I used strawberry yogurt.
I also cut back on the sugar so they’re not overly sweet. Not only that, but the frosting doesn’t have added sugar either since I used fresh ripe strawberries to make the puree.
I used my stabilized whipped cream to make the frosting. It holds up great and is so simple to make. The puree gives it a light pink color without using red food coloring.
Of course, I added a fresh strawberry for decoration. They really are so pretty and even better to eat.
- Strawberry yogurt
- Room temperature large eggs
- Vegetable oil
- Granulated sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Cold water
- Heavy cream or whipping cream
- Fresh strawberry puree
If your strawberries are tart, you can add some powdered sugar to the whipped cream frosting. If you use fresh in-season strawberries, you shouldn’t need it.
To make strawberry puree, blend fresh strawberries with some lemon juice or water until the puree is thin enough to pour.
How to Make Them
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 12 cupcake pan or muffin tin or line one with cupcake liners.
In a medium bowl, using a hand mixer (or stand mixer) at medium speed, lightly beat the eggs for approximately 30 seconds.
Add the oil, sugar, yogurt, and beat the mixture for one minute or until smooth. Add the flour, baking powder and beat the batter for about one minute or until it’s well combined.
Pour the cupcake batter into the prepared cupcake pan and bake them for approximately 20 minutes or until a toothpick or knife comes out clean.
Make the frosting while the cupcakes cool on a wire rack.
In a small pot combine the gelatine and cold water and let the mixture stand for approximately 10 minutes or until it’s thickened. Place the pot over low heat and stir constantly just until gelatine dissolves. Remove from the heat and let it cool.
In a medium bowl whip the cream and powdered sugar (if using) until soft peaks form. Continue beating while adding the gelatine and pureed strawberries. Whip the frosting at high speed until it’s stiff.
Spread or pipe the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes. Top each with a fresh strawberry for decoration.
Tips and Variations
This recipe is easy to customize with different flavored yogurt and fruit. Other berries like blueberries or raspberries would work great, too.
Instead of making your own whipped cream, you can use storebought and mix it with the puree to save time.
Or, skip the whipped cream frosting and use cream cheese frosting or strawberry buttercream frosting.
You can make and bake the cupcakes a day in advance. Store them in an airtight container and then frost them the next day.
If you don’t plan to serve the cupcakes right away, wait to add the fresh strawberry on top. Store the frosted cupcakes in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve them.
I have to admit this is one Amazing Cake Recipe that can be made into a thousand different desserts. And these Strawberries Cupcakes are just one of them. The taste is wonderful and they’re fast and easy to make – Enjoy!
More Delicious Recipes
Homemade Strawberry Cupcakes
FOR CUPCAKE BATTER
- 3 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use sunflower or corn oil)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup strawberry yogurt (room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (or cake/pastry flour)
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1-2 pinches salt
FOR THE FROSTING
- 1 teaspoon gelatine
- 4 teaspoons cold water
- 1 cup cream whole/whipping/heavy
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 5 large strawberries cleaned and pureed
FOR CUPCAKE BATTER
- Heat oven to 350 degrees (180° celcius). Grease a 12 cupcake pan or add paper cupcake cups.
- In a medium bowl, using a hand mixer on medium speed, lightly beat eggs (approximately 30 seconds) add the oil, sugar and yogurt, beat for 1 minute until smooth, add the flour, baking powder and salt, beat until well combined 1-2 minutes.
- Pour into the prepared cupcake pan and bake approximately 20 minutes or until tested done (when toothpick inserted in the cupcake comes out clean). Let cool completely before frosting.
FOR WHIPPED CREAM FROSTING **
- In a small pot combine gelatin and cold water, let stand for approximately 10 minutes or until thick, place over low heat, stirring constantly just until gelatine dissolves. Remove from the heat and let cool (but not set).
- In a medium bowl whip cream and icing sugar until soft peaks form, continue beating and add gelatin and pureed strawberries, whip on high until stiff.
- Frost the cooled cupcakes with frosting. Enjoy!
**You could also use store bought stabilized whipped cream and when it gets to the soft peak stage add the pureed strawberries and whip until stiff.
Updated from February 17, 2017.