Nutella Cake, a soft very typical Italian Yellow Cake filled with a generous helping of Nutella, the perfect Snack, Breakfast, or even Dessert recipe. Kids will love it and adults too!
Who doesn’t love Desserts? And who doesn’t love the taste of a delicious, homemade, soft cake? Especially if that amazing cake is layered with Nutella.
My mother-in-law would make this cake at least once a week and it was always served as a Breakfast Cake. Of course, she would bring it out again in the afternoon to eat with a cup of espresso coffee. Although, she very rarely filled it with Nutella.
But since there was always a jar hanging around when my kids were little. My girls would always want me to fill it (“and don’t be stingy Ma”) with some creamy chocolate and hazelnuts spread. Nutella really did make the flavor even more delicious and my husband and my kids certainly agreed with me on that!
- Large eggs
- Large yolk
- Vegetable oil
- Vanilla extract
- Cake flour (pastry flour)
- Baking powder
- Powdered sugar for dusting
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and flour two 8-inch cake pans or two 9 inch ones (20-22cm). Springform pans or standard cakes pans are fine.
Beat the eggs, egg yolk, and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer or stand mixer. After about two minutes, add the water, oil, and vanilla and mix for one minute. Add all of the dry ingredients (except for the powdered sugar) and beat the cake batter for two minutes.
Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake them for approximately 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs.
Cool the cakes for 15 minutes in the pan before removing them. Cool them completely on wire racks.
When the cakes are cooled, place one cake top-down on a serving plate. Spread the Nutella over the top and then place the second cake top-side up on top of the filling.
Dust the cake with powdered sugar, slice, and serve!
Instead of greasing the cake pans, you can line them with parchment paper instead.
You can make your own cake flour with all-purpose flour and cornstarch. For every cup of flour, remove two tablespoons and replace them with the same amount of cornstarch. Sift or whisk the mixture to combine before adding to the batter.
For the best cake, use room temperature ingredients.
If the Nutella is too thick to spread you can thin it by heating it in the microwave or you can warm it using a bain-marie on the stove.
For storage, wrap the cake in plastic wrap and keep it at room temperature. It should keep for a couple of days.
The cake can also be frozen. Freeze tightly wrapped in plastic in an airtight freezer safe bag or container. Properly stored it will keep for up to six months in the freezer.
Instead of filling it with Nutella, you could add a layer of frosting or a delicious Homemade Jam and it would be delicious.
To tell the truth, this cake is even tasty with no filling and just a dusting of powdered sugar and served “the Italian Way” with a cup of tea or coffee. But the chocolate hazelnut spread layer is a special treat.
Everyone also loves when I would use this cake as a base for Tiramisu. Drizzle the cake with a strong coffee and add that delicious creamy Mascarpone filling.
Ahhh Nutella! Are you ready to grab your jar in the cupboard, turn on the oven and start baking? I hope so because this Nutella cake recipe really is the Perfect Sunday Night Dinner Dessert. Or anytime dessert for that matter!
More Cake Recipes
- Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Nutella Chocolate Layer Cake
- Homemade Angel Food Cake
- Baci Chocolate Birthday Cake
Yellow cake with Nutella (Ciambellone soffice con Nutella)
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 large yolk (room temperature)
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup milk (room temperature)
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups pastry/cake flour*
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
*To make homemade pastry/cake flour, for every cup of all purpose flour remove 2 tablespoons of flour and replace with cornstarch, sift to combine.
- ½-¾ cup Nutella
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350° (180° celcius). Grease and flour 2 x 8 or 9 inch (20-22cm) cake pans (springform or classic) or line with parchment paper.
- On medium speed beat the eggs, yolk and sugar for approximately 2 minutes, add the milk, oil and vanilla, beat again for 1 minute. Add the flour, baking powder and salt, beat for 2 minutes.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans, bake for approximately 20 – 25 minutes (check with toothpick to make sure they are done, when 2 or 3 crumbs are stuck to the toothpick they are done). Let cool for about 15 minutes before removing from the pans and cool completely before filling with the Nutella.
- On round serving dish place one of the cakes top down, spread with the Nutella*, then place the 2nd cake on top (top side up) and dust with powdered sugar. Enjoy!
*If the Nutella is too hard to spread then you can thin it out either by heating in a microwave or by heating with a bain marie.
Updated from July 16, 2016.