This Creamy Cauliflower Soup is easy and simple. Sprinkle with some chopped bacon or pancetta to make this the perfect soup for a cold winter night. Hearty and delicious.
Creamy Cauliflower Soup
During the winter months in Italy my mother-in-law would always grow broccoli but rarely cauliflower, and to tell the truth I have always preferred cauliflower.
My sister makes a delicious mashed cauliflower that does give mashed potatoes a run for it’s money, which completely surprised me. Although the Italian isn’t quite convinced!
How to make Cauliflower Soup
- In a medium / large pot melt the butter then add the chopped shallot, celery and garlic.
- Cook on low heat for about two minutes then add the vegetable broth and cauliflower florets.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, bring to a boil then simmer for about 25 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender.
- Remove 3 or 4 cauliflower hearts, chop into small pieces and set aside.
- The remaining ingredients in the pot either blend until smooth in a blender or use a hand blender directly in the pot.
- Add the cream and freshly grated parmesan cheese to the pot, stir to combine and heat until hot.
- Serve immediately topped with fresh chopped parsley, chopped crisp bacon or pancetta and chopped cauliflower hearts.
How to make a basic homemade vegetable broth
In a medium / large pot add an onion or leek quartered , couple of carrots, 2-3 stalks of celery, two or three mushrooms halved, fresh herbs such as thyme, a bay leaf some fresh parsley and some pepper or hot pepper flakes if desired.
Add enough water to cover the veggies with about 2 inches of water. Heat over medium heat and bring to a boil. Once it starts to boil, lower the heat and simmer uncovered for about one hour, stirring often.
Strain the liquid through a cheese cloth into a clean jar. Any leftover broth should be stored in the fridge and will keep for up to five to six days.
Or the broth can be frozen in a freezer safe container for up to three months.
How to store the Soup
Any leftover soup should be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated. It will last up to four days in the fridge.
Can you freeze the Soup
Freezing soups with cream or milk in them is not a good idea, because the soup can become grainy and separate when thawed. Best to make small batches and eat immediately.
What to serve with the Cream of Cauliflower Soup
I like to serve a simple tossed salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar or sometimes I make a prosciutto and cheese melt on slices of crusty Italian bread.
Looking for more Soup or Stew recipes?
So if you are looking for something to make with that head of cauliflower in the fridge, why not try this Creamy Cauliflower Soup? Buon Appetito.
Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small shallot or onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery (100 grams)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth (708 grams)
- 1 medium head cauliflower (cleaned and separated into florets) (600 grams)
- salt & pepper*
- 1/4 cup whole / heavy cream (63 grams)
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 6 slices thinly sliced bacon or pancetta chopped
*Adding the salt depends on if you use homemade broth or store bought. I find store bought very salty so no need to add extra.
- In a medium/large pot add the butter, chopped shallot, celery and garlic. Cook on low / medium heat stirring often for about 2 minutes.
- Then add the broth, cauliflower and salt and pepper if using. Over medium/high heat bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for about 25 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender. Remove 3 florets, drain on a paper towel then chop and set aside.
- Blend the remaining ingredients in the pot until smooth (either in a blender or directly in the pot with a hand blender). Place the pot back on medium heat, add the cream and parmesan cheese and heat until hot. Serve immediately sprinkled with fresh chopped parsley, some chopped cauliflower and chopped bacon or pancetta. Enjoy!
- In a frying pan fry the chopped bacon or pancetta until crisp, drain on a paper towel.