Delicious Italian Stuffed Peppers combine fresh bell peppers with a savory ground beef filling for a delicious dinner. The peppers bake until they are crisp-tender and the meat filling is juicy and tender. This is always a favorite dinner full of flavor.
Stuffed peppers have always been a favorite dish of mine whether it was my mom’s version growing up or these Italian Stuffed Peppers I make now. They smell amazing while they’re baking and every one loves to break into those delicious peppers to get to the beef filling inside.
Many stuffed pepper recipes call for rice, but I like to use breadcrumbs in the meat mixture instead. It’s like making meatloaf with many of the same ingredients, but then it’s stuffed into the hollowed-out peppers and topped with cheese.
We love them with some homemade Italian bread on the side or just a nice green salad with my homemade Italian dressing. Or you can’t go wrong with both!
For a comforting delicious dinner, these Italian stuffed peppers are a great choice.
- Bell peppers – I like to use red, orange, or yellow peppers or try green bell peppers.
- Ground beef: Or you can do a combination of ground beef and ground pork.
- Large egg
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Shredded mozzarella cheese: Or try shredded Gruyere, Provolone, Gouda, or Edam cheese.
- Bread crumbs
- Minced garlic cloves
- Ground black pepper
- 2% milk or whole milk
- Chopped fresh parsley
How to Make Stuffed Peppers
Slice the tops off the peppers and remove the core and white membranes. Place them on a baking sheet drizzled with olive oil. Take the stem part that you sliced off and cut the stem out. Chop the pepper part and place the pieces a large bowl.
Add the ground beef, egg, Parmesan, shredded cheese, breadcrumbs, salt, garlic, pepper, milk, and parsley. Mix well to combine.
Fill each pepper with the meat mixture and bake the stuffed peppers for 40 to 45 minutes at 350°F.
At this point, sprinkle them with shredded cheese and bake them for five more minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Should you cook peppers before stuffing them?
I don’t cook my peppers first because I like them crisp-tender. If you prefer them softer, you could steam or boil them first so they soften. Just don’t cook them too much otherwise they won’t hold up when you bake them.
What kind of ground meat can you use?
I like ground beef or pork. The fat in the meat keeps the filling from drying out and adds lots of flavor. You can use other kinds of ground meat like ground turkey or ground chicken, but your filling may not be as moist.
Should you cover them while they bake?
I bake mine uncovered and it works fine.
Meat: You can mix ground beef and pork for the filling or mix in some ground Italian sausage. If you prefer leaner meat, try turkey or chicken.
Cheese: Many kinds of shredded cheese will work for this recipe. As long as it melts well and you like the flavor, it will work!
Sauce: If you want to add some tomato sauce, I recommend spooning some over the top of the peppers before you add the cheese. It adds a nice flavor.
Make-ahead: You can assemble the stuffed peppers ahead of time and keep them in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake them. If they’re cold, you will need to add more baking time.
Leftovers: If you have stuffed peppers leftover, place them in an airtight container and they will keep for three to four days in the fridge. Reheat them in the microwave or in the oven.
Freezer: You can also freeze them for several months in a freezer-safe container.
I love the taste of the fresh peppers with the hearty beef filling. It’s a great combo and a delicious idea for dinner. I hope you try this recipe – Enjoy!
More Pepper Recipes You Might Like
- Creamy Red Pepper Sauce
- Italian Roasted Peppers
- Italian Sausage and Peppers
- Italian Meatballs in a Red Pepper Tomato Sauce
Italian Stuffed Peppers
- 5 medium peppers
- 1 pound ground beef (⅔ ground beef & ⅓ ground pork)
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ⅓ cup shredded firm mozzarella (or gruyere, provolone, gouda or Edam)
- 3 tablespoons bread crumbs
- ¼-½ teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 dashes black pepper
- 3 tablespoons milk (whole or 2%)
- ½ tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2-3 tablepsoons olive oil (divided)
- ½ cup shredded cheese or parmesan cheese
FOR THE POTATOES (optional)
- 4-5 medium potatoes (cubed or sliced/rinsed and towel dried)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1-2 sprigs rosemary (chopped)
- ¼-½ teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C). Drizzle a large baking pan with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Clean the peppers- cut off the tops and remove the core. Place on the prepared baking pan. Then cut the pepper part around the stalk, cut it into small pieces (I used 3 tops only).
- In a large bowl combine together the ground beef (and pork if using), egg, parmesan cheese, shredded cheese, bread crumbs, salt, garlic, pepper, milk, parsley and chopped pepper pieces.
- Fill the peppers with the meat mixture. Add the potatoes and bake for 40-45 minutes. Remove from the oven, (Raise the heat to 400F (200 C)) top the peppers with shredded cheese and bake for another 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
FOR THE POTATOES
- In a large bowl combine the sliced or cubed potatoes, oregano, rosemary, salt and olive oil.
Mildred Moreno says
Hi Mildred, thanks so much. Take care!
Molly Marcon says
Hi Rosemary, Oh my word, I have been looking for this recipe for years. My late mother in law made them and I loved them, but all the recipes I found had rice mixed in. Thank you from the bottom of my heart 💜
Hi Molly, thanks so much and you are so welcome, glad I could help. Take care!