Italian Marinated Grilled Chicken and Breaded Grilled Tomatoes, if you are looking for something, simple, easy, delicious and Healthy then this Grilled Chicken dish is for you. Grilled Chicken, Breaded Tomatoes and fresh herbs are the perfect light dinner combination.
As we head into our first week of summer, I was lucky enough to get my first haul of veggies from my garden. Unfortunately we still have a bit of a wait for our tomatoes.
I say with total envy in my voice, that my mother-in-law’s tomatoes must be a good 6-8 inches taller than mine. And so every evening I give my short guys a cheerleader yell of encouragement!
Must say though I can’t complain about the beans. I tell my husband haha it must be because they are from Canada.
Once in a while I will head to our town outdoor market, this is where I picked up some lovely ripe, but not overly ripe, firm round tomatoes.
After the yummy kid-friendly Tiramisu I made, I figured something healthy was in order. And this Italian Marinated Grilled Chicken and Breaded Grilled Tomatoes is the perfect fit.This dish takes no time to whip up.
While the chicken pieces are marinating in a little rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper and olive oil, you will have time to get those tomatoes ready to go.
Italian Marinated Grilled Chicken and Breaded Grilled Tomatoes
Remember to use almost ripe but firm tomatoes, you don’t want them to fall apart when grilling! Toss the cracker crumbs with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese, (I use cracker crumbs for a couple of reasons I like the taste and I don’t have to use salt), coat the thick tomato slices on both sides, and start grilling.
Make sure you don’t over grill the Italian Marinated Grilled Chicken and Breaded Grilled Tomatoes, you want it nice and juicy, nothing worse than shoe-leather-chicken.
I’m pretty sure this dish was eaten faster than I could get it on the table. So here’s to summer grilling and barbecuing! Buon Appetito!
- MARINATED CHICKEN
- 1/2 pound chicken 6-8 slices (not too thin) 400 grams
- 2 leaves sprigs rosemary chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil 30 grams
- 2 pinches salt
- 2 pinches pepper
- pinch thyme
- GRILLED TOMATOES
- 2 large round tomatoes (not too ripe but firm) 6 slices not too ripe and firm
- 3/4 cup cracker crumbs 80 grams
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- fresh basil and thyme
- MARINATED CHICKEN
- In a medium bowl add chicken slices, toss with rosemary, salt, pepper, thyme and olive oil. Cover with plastic and refrigerate for approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash and cut thick slices of tomato, on a medium-size plate mix together cracker crumbs and Parmesan cheese, dredge the tomato slices one at a time in the crumb mixture and grill. I started with the tomatoes, grill on a hot pan-grill or barbecue, on both sides until golden, approximately 2 minutes, move to a clean plate and grill the chicken, until no longer pink. Place a slice or 2 (if they are small slices) of chicken on top of 1 tomato slice, drizzle with lemon juice, top with chopped fresh basil and thyme if desired. Enjoy!