Homemade Stove Top Pizza Calzone, fast easy and the perfect way to make pizza especially in the Summer, add your favorite toppings to make this your new amazingly delicious cheesy pizza.
You read that right! Stove Top Pizza. What can I say, we love Pizza. During the cooler months we usually have pizza either Friday or Saturday night.
But with this heat, I dread the thought of turning on the oven. So my youngest daughter who can never live without it or Nutella told me of this amazing discovery she made.
No oven needed, seriously Homemade Stove Top Pizza that tastes amazing she said. Yeah right I thought, so after convincing me with some serious googling, I went to work. I used my Best Pizza Dough and some garden fresh veggies, basil included.
All I can say is whoever invented this was a genius. And yes it has been around for quite some time, apparently! So how did I miss this? Sometimes I think I live in outer space.
I made up my pizza dough, let it sit and double in bulk for about an hour. The amount of the dough is enough for 3 thick crust 9 1/2 inch (24 centimeter) Pizzas (if you prefer thinner crust then use less dough).
I actually did it two different ways, the first way I placed a third of the dough in the bottom of a lightly greased heavy-duty frying pan (cast iron works great) and topped it with all my pizza ingredients, I even included some leftover mushrooms from lunch.
I covered it and let it go on medium heat for approximately 15 minutes.
I uncovered it a sliver and let it go on low heat for another 15 minutes. It was cooked but a little light in colour on the top and yes the Italian said “not cooked enough”. It was almost like Goldilocks.
The second and third ones I browned the dough for about 10 minutes, flipped it over, topped it with the toppings, covered it and let it finish cooking for approximately 15-20 minutes. If you like a darker crust cook it a little longer, just remember don’t go higher than a low/medium heat.
Homemade Stove Top Pizza Calzone
Then I started thinking, what about Calzone, yep it works too! Just cover half the dough with toppings, fold the other half over, pinch the sides closed so none of the filling escapes, cook covered 15-20 minutes on each side.
Perfect Homemade Stove Top Pizza Calzone, so if you are like me and this is a novelty for you too, trust me on this, great, delicious, fast and a great summer dinner alternative. Buon Appetito!
Homemade Stove Top Pizza and Calzone
- See Recipe for Best Pizza Dough link at bottom of Post
- FOR THE TOPPING (for each Pizza or Calzone)
- 10 cherry tomatoes or 10 mini Roma (seeding and quartered, or half of a can of chopped tomatoes nothing added)
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 3-4 leaves fresh basil chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (15 grams)
- 1/2 cup grated firm mozzarella (I probably used more we like cheese) or more if desired (100 grams)
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped pancetta if desired (10 grams)
- cup *1/4 cooked mushroom slices 1/2 - 1 pepper chopped (25 grams)
- 2 tablespoon grated fresh parmesan (I added this only to the Calzone) (16 grams)
- *I sautéed the mushrooms and chopped peppers with a little olive oil, oregano, salt parsley and a little water, cook on medium heat until water has evaporated and mushrooms and peppers are lightly browned.
- In a small bowl toss together the chopped tomatoes, salt, oregano, chopped basil leaves and olive oil. Set aside.
- Lightly grease a 9 1/2 inch (24 centimeter) heavy-duty frying pan. (or 3 if you are doing them together, dough will keep overnight in the refrigerator)
- FOR THE PIZZA
- Line the bottom of the pan with 1/3 (or less) of the dough. Heat on low - medium heat covered for approximately 10 minutes until the bottom is lightly browned. Flip it over.
- On the browned side add the tomato mixture, pancetta, mushrooms and mozzarella.
- Cover and continue to cook on low to low/medium (more low then medium) heat for another 15 minutes. Uncover lower heat and continue for approximately 5 minutes. Check it after 10 minutes making sure it doesn't burn.
- FOR THE CALZONE
- Line the bottom of the pan with dough, cover half the dough with the tomato mixture, pancetta, mushrooms, mozzarella and Parmesan, fold the other half over, pinch the sides closed so none of the filling escapes, cook covered on medium heat 15-20 minutes on each side. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
- **Check your heat, remember not too high or it will just burn and not cook completely.**Calories are just for the topping.