These Italian Marinated Mushrooms are the perfect anytime appetizer. Made with just four ingredients, perfect for gluten free, vegetarian and even vegan friends. This flavourful appetizer will be a guaranteed hit.
I’m sure everyone knows or has known a woman, mother, sister, cousin, friend or wife who can cook for 1 to 100 without batting an eyelash.
Well, the woman who gave me this recipe was one of them. She was the mother of one of my close friends in Italy. She could make anything and everything. I honestly believe the more people she had to cook for the happier she was.
For me mushrooms were one of those take it or leave it vegetables, I probably left them more than I took them. But done this way, these marinated mushrooms are mouth-watering.
Served with simple bruschetta , they become an amazing appetizer.
This recipe is really easy to make. The mushrooms just need to sit for a couple of hours and then you are basically ready to go. And if you ask me I could make a meal out of just appetizers!
Add a glass of wine on the side and we’re all set. Buon Appetito!
- 3 cups chopped mushrooms (300 grams)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (8 grams)
- 4-5 tablespoons olive oil (54-68 grams)
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup fresh chopped Italian parsley (7-10 grams)
- In a medium bowl add chopped mushrooms and salt, mix and let sit for 1 -1 1/2 hours (if you prefer a milder mushroom taste, then in the medium bowl of chopped mushrooms(without adding the salt, instead add the juice of one lemon, let sit for an hour, then add 1 teaspoon (3 grams) of salt, mix and let sit for another 30- 45 minutes then continue with the instructions), then drain and squeeze out as much liquid as possible from the mushrooms.
- Place in a clean bowl and toss with olive oil, juice from 1/2 lemon and fresh chopped Italian parsley.
- Let sit 20-30 minutes for flavours to blend. Serve with bruschetta or crusty bread.