Unfortunately for me the heat is upon us! I don’t handle the heat very well, the only good thing about it is my husband and I have started a veggie garden this year which is great seeing as I am sure cool food will be on the table pretty soon.
So before I start to melt and I decide to not turn on the oven until next September I thought a really good pizza recipe would be the perfect addio to my oven. I have seen pizza twists but I also noticed that filling didn’t stay inside, instead it would be lost on the pan. I thought that placing a topping of pizza dough on top of the filling and then twisting would solve that problem. And yes it did.
This Veggie Stuffed Pizza Twists were made with pre-made pizza dough but you could always give a try to my Best Pizza Dough.
These Pizza Twists are stuffed with fresh tomatoes,mushrooms and peppers and of course mozzarella and before I baked them in the oven I drizzled the tops with olive oil and sprinkled with a good bit of freshly grated Parmesan cheese, which I must say has become my all-time favourite cheese.
I could and I do eat this cheese in chunks.
Probably one of my favourite bites is a slice of Italian crusty bread topped with grilled eggplant and a slice of Parmesan, trust me this is a must try, and it would go really well as an appetizer with these delicious Veggie Stuffed Pizza Twists. Buon Appetito!
Veggie Stuffed Pizza Twists
- 2 pre-made pizza dough or best pizza dough recipe
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped peppers
- 4-5 medium ripe tomatoes seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil 45 grams
- 1 cup shredded firm mozzarella
- 1/4 -1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- extra olive oil for brushing
- Pre-heat oven to 450° (250° celsius). Lightly grease a large pizza pan.
- In a large bowl mix together mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes, oregano, basil, salt and 3 tablespoons olive oil. Gently mix together. Set aside.
- Roll out pizza dough and form 2-4 long strips approximately 4 inches x 10 inches (10x30 centimeters), place one strip on pizza pan and spoon some tomato mixture along the strip (try not to add the tomato water), add some chopped veggies and mozzarella cheese, cover with 2nd strip, with finger tips dipped in water seal the seams, twist gently (easier if you twist starting at the top to the middle then from the bottom to the middle, always leaving the strip on the pan) then brush with olive oil and sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Continue with rest of strips. Bake for approximately 12-15 minutes until golden. Let sit 3-5 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!
- * You should get 2 strips per pre-made pizza dough.