As I pack the last suitcase, say my last goodbyes to friends and family, and dry my tears, I look back on the amazing two months I have passed in the company of all these wonderful people.
From restaurants to local hangouts, to back yard barbecues to one-hour lake cruises, I have had the time of my life. All the walking and eating and laughing and yeah the occasional Mill Street draft have made my stay here in Toronto a blast.
So now I’m faced with a big dilemma, “when will I be back?” or ” Will I ever move back here?” Easy questions to ask but very hard to answer. I wish I could say see you next year. All I can ever respond with is “you never know” and really you never do know.
So now I look forward to seeing my family and friends in Italy, showing my photos and recounting the stories of all my awesome visits and of course cooking up a storm in my own kitchen and sharing them with all of you. It will be interesting to see what basket of vegetables my mother-in-law will have waiting for me on my arrival, and what delicious welcome back to Italy lunch she and my sister-in-law will have cooked up for me.
I hope you enjoy this fresh tomato and pancetta pie as much as we all did while sitting out in the garden. This pie is easy to make and really delicious. Buon Appetito!
- 1 pre made pie crust
- ¾ cup (75 grams) chopped pancetta
- 6-7 ounces (200 grams) thinly sliced firm mozzarella
- 2 ripe tomatoes thinly sliced (remove the seeds and pulp if desired, I do)
- 1 tablespoon (14 grams) butter melted
- 1½ teaspoons (1 gram) oregano
- 1 teaspoon (3/4 gram) basil
- ¼ teaspoon (1 gram) salt
- 1 - 1¼ tablespoons (13-16 grams olive oil) for drizzling
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees (190 celsius)
- Spread pie pastry on a lightly greased medium- sized pizza pan ( I used a 12" /30 centimeter pan), brush the pastry with the melted butter, top with the thin sliced mozzarella, then sprinkle with the cubed pancetta and finally top with the sliced tomatoes, sprinkle with salt, oregano and basil, and drizzle with olive oil. Bake in pre-heated over for approximately 30-35 minutes. Let sit 5 minutes. Enjoy!