With summer clearly upon us, I find that I prefer to eat light and quick meals. We all have more things to do, with vacations, working in our gardens or just visiting family and friends.
Next to an over abundance of vegetables that I am given by my mother-in-law every summer, I would have to say eggplant comes in 3rd. Thank goodness for my in-laws and friends and all their amazing recipes I can usually use up all these great vegetables quite easily.
What is also amazing about this recipe is that you are combining two delicious vegetables, spices and melted cheese together, and what could be better than that, this recipe even got me thinking about becoming a vegetarian.
Another niece of mine came to visit last night and I told her to try an eggplant mozzarella sandwich, she told me that eggplants were not one of her favourites because they tend to taste slimy and to tell the truth I couldn’t agree more, so I reassured her by telling her that when grilled all that sliminess disappears (eggplant is quite watery so grilling removes the excess water). And in fact she loved them, and I must say my eggplant mozzarella sandwich will be one dish I will be making again quite soon.
This dish would be perfect as a main dish or you could even serve it as an appetizer. Whatever way you choose, give it a try and let me know. Buon Appetito!
- 10 thick slices round eggplant
- 5 slices fresh mozzarella
- 1 large tomato chopped (seeds and pulp removed)
- 4-5 fresh basil leaves chopped
- 2 teaspoons (1 gram) oregano
- 2 tablespoons (27 grams) olive oil + a bit extra for drizzling
- ½ teaspoon (3 grams) salt
- extra salt and pepper to taste
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees (180 celsius)
- In a small bowl add chopped tomato, oregano,chopped basil leaves, ½ teaspoon salt and olive oil. Mix to combine.
- Grill eggplant slices on both sides (can be grilled on the barbecue or pan grill). On a parchment paper lined baking sheet place 5 of the grilled eggplant slices, layer with 1 slice of mozzarella, a heaping tablespoon of the chopped tomato mixture (divide the mixture between the 5 slices) and then top with remaining grilled eggplant slice. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and lightly drizzle with olive oil. Bake 7 or 8 minutes in pre-heated oven till cheese starts to melt. Serve immediately. Enjoy!