Creamy Mushroom Lasagna, a delicious vegetarian way to enjoy Lasagna. Classic Italian Tomato Sauce, chopped mushrooms and just the right spices makes this a new Family favourite Lasagna.
For us Lasagna is the perfect Sunday lunch. In Italy we eat our big meal at lunch and a smaller meal at dinner. Works for me, a great way to use up leftovers.
Lasagna, one of our favourite Italian dishes. I have to admit I make Lasagna at least once a month, usually when we have friends or family over.
It is one of those quick and easy dishes but looks like you spent all day getting it together. And lets face it, it is one of the most delicious dishes out there, don’t you agree?
This time I decided to make a meatless lasagna, so why not mushrooms? It’s one vegetable that is year round, which makes this the perfect lasagna!
They say we eat with our eyes, but I really don’t know about that, I think our first impression is what we smell and you can’t beat the aroma from the large pot of tomato sauce boiling and gurgling on the stove.
It sometimes splatters everywhere but it’s well worth it.
Creamy Mushroom Lasagna
A secret to a creamier lasagna is to drizzle some white sauce between the layers, you are eating lasagna, what’s a little white sauce? I usually buy those lasagna noodles, that you don’t have to pre-boil (also referred to as strips, oven ready).
Saves time and I think they are really delicious. Maybe next time I will make my own noodles, it certainly has to be easier than Ravioli. Buon Appetito!
Creamy Mushroom Lasagna
- 6-8 medium large mushrooms chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bottle tomato puree (approximately 2 1/2 - 3 cups). (passata)
- 2 cups water
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5-6 leaves fresh basil chopped
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/4 cups cubed fresh mozzarella
- 1/2-3/4 cup thick white sauce ** homemade or bought
- 16 lasagna noodles (also referred to as strips oven ready), more or less
- **HOMEMADE WHITE SAUCE
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- pinch of salt small pinch
- In a medium pot over medium heat melt butter then add flour and salt, combine with a whisk, add milk slowly and continue to stir until thickened. Remove from heat.
- In a large pot add oil, mushrooms, 1/3 cup water, oregano, basil and salt (only half the amount of spices), cook on low-medium until the mushrooms start to become tender and water has evaporated, then add the tomato puree, 2 cups water, garlic, fresh basil and the other half of the spices, continue to cook low-medium until very thick, approximately 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°.
- In a baking dish spread approximately 1/2 ladle of sauce, cover with lasagna noodles, then spread with sauce,drizzle with some white sauce, 1/3 of the cubed mozzarella, 1/4 of the grated fresh Parmesan and continue for 4 layers. The last layer omit mozzarella and white sauce, sprinkle with just Parmesan cheese. Bake in oven for approximately 20-25 minutes, let sit 5-10 minutes, serve. Enjoy!